Watermelon?

Hi, Live in northeast Florida and basically have sand for my soil. Put down several bags of compost to form a hill, planted watermelon seed, and expected with fertilizer to reap a bountiful harvest. Getting a few watermelons but some of them seem to develop rot from laying on the sand and the scrap grass. Should I have put down some weed inhibiting layer before the watermelons started to grow and keep them on the material after they sprouted? Bob

Reply to
Bob Gillespie

Probably you should have mulched and weeded. You might also consider slipping something under the watermelons when they first form. I used to use a floor tile. Anything that will prevent ground contact and let the area under the fruit drain would work.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thanks for the tile advise. Will do much better next year. I've put some small seed starter trays under the few watermelons that still look OK.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Gillespie