Surprise !!!!

I have been out of commission with a twisted knee so my gardening has taken a back seat for about 3 weeks now. Feeling a little better, I went out thi s morning just to poke and scope and much to my surprise, in the 8 inch pin e strawed gap between my drive way and the neighbors fence, is a trailing w atermelon vine WITH a watermelon. I am not sure how this happened. Rain wat er from the gutters runs in that direction and the garbage can is in front of the gutter. Thing is I can't remember the last time I had a watermelon w ith black seeds. Do the white ones germinate and grow? It is a cute little thing, about 5 inches long and 3 inches in diameter.

As for the squash and peppers I have been complaining about all spring they are still not doing well. We have been able to pick enough to eat but my f reezer is still waiting. Maybe it is still too early? Cucumbers are doing w ell.

MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

Hurrah! We have one as well but it's tiny. As for the white seeds, I always thought they were not mature enough to germinate.

Sorry about your knee. I hope you feel better very soon.

We didn't try to grow squash or cucumbers this year. We had room for either squash and cukes or watermelons and cantaloupes. DH opted for melons. I stole one corner of that bed for the only luffa seedling that survived and now it's taking over the fence. It's almost scary. Our peppers started off with problems but their replacements are doing very well now with lots of Cubanelles, Gypsys and bell peppers of various types. I have yet to get a mature bell yet but we've been able to pick several frying peppers so far.

The weather in so much of the country has been so weird this year I think it's a wonder any of us have anything growing successfully. Just talked to a friend who lives a few miles from us and they have always had wonderful success with tomatoes until now. This year's crop has been very disappointing for them.

Reply to
bluechick