Mains powered impact driver?

Automatic feeding, thus saving the time to remove them from the box and loading them with the tool, possibly dropping them on the floor.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Generally all battery powered (apart from the ones that run off compressed air!)

Not really an issue with impact drivers yet - it seems to be predominantly the quality tool makers who do them (and ryobi!), so the batts and chargers are usually pretty good.

Not seen any...

If you already have a decent battey drill of some sort, then look for an impact driver "body only" to save spending out on duplicate batteries and chargers again. This will cut the cost of even the top end ones to under £100.

Reply to
John Rumm

They are fast and light and do one job very well. Never run out of puff and you tend to be near a mains socket when using them. So nothing you can't do with another type of drill, but just optimised for the task.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hammer drill hammers the bit back and forward to help pound it into the hole it is drilling.

An impact driver hammers the bit round and round tending to give very high torque in discrete blows. Much like the air powered wrenches that tyre places use to undo wheel nuts.

no...

You could try here:

a couple that never made it to the faq:

?title=Wall_chaser

Reply to
John Rumm

Too late:

work very well - pop the driver off the screw once it is set just deep enough.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed, my 18V one is a little too powerful really - it can go through bits at quite a rate.

Reply to
John Rumm

I can get through PZ2's, but rarely break a PZ3. Top quality diamond bits (Wiha or Wera) and remembering to swap batteries the moment it starts to get juddery, reduce the problem. It's always when I'm getting the last 1 or 2 screws in before swapping batteries that I break a bit.

Reply to
dom

PZ3s are more robust, although I have still broken one or two. Got through four PZ2s the other day though.

Yup, that is what I usually use.

Mine does not seem to get juddery. Main danger seems to be allowing it to rattle in the head of the screw too much, or when you hit some unturnable obstruction and cam out.

Reply to
John Rumm

The trick is in buying a sufficently expensive PZ2 i've found, and they tend to be a hell of a lot harder. I got through quite a few until i applied the same methodolgy to it that I applied to the purchase of the drill... buy the best and most expensive :) Seems to work... though I am permanently broke...

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

Hmmm. My experience is the opposite. I buy the Wickes 20 for £3:99 PZ2 bits and find they last surprisingly well in my Makita 12v impact driver - and they are cheap enough to replace at the slightest sign of cam out.

HFC

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In fact, I just found one:

John Rumm

I find ordinary steel bits will last maybe one or two screws! Next time I am in Wicks I will get some to try and see. (perhaps it is a reflection of the different driver (20Nm extra torque on the 18V driver), or the different screws (mainly driving Screwfix twinthread Quicksilver countersunk screws).

Reply to
John Rumm

That looks like exactly what I want! Thank you. The prices seem to vary a bit online between =A370 and =A3130=20 plus delivery. Screwfix doesn't seem to stock that model=20 but there seem to be no shortage of other suppliers. Now to see if I can find a trustworthy online supplier at=20 the lower end of the sale price.

--=20 David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr=20 To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.

Reply to
David in Normandy

I'd reckon at least half a box of decking screws on a bit. Thats half of a box of 350.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

compared to 135Nm on the 12v Makita. More than enough mind, but you expect more wellie from a mains jobby.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The prices seem to vary a bit online between £70 and £130 plus delivery. Screwfix doesn't seem to stock that model but there seem to be no shortage of other suppliers. Now to see if I can find a trustworthy online supplier at the lower end of the sale price.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well if you want a bit more torque, you could always get one of these (especially the one at the bottom):

Bung in a cheap adaptor from a pound shop and slot in a screwdriver bit... :-)

Reply to
Rod

Many Impact Wrenches have variable speed triggers too. The difference may not be that great between the Impact drivers and wrenches.

Mian Impact Drivers are plentiful and cheap enough.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel