Mains power voltage drop to reduce usage?

Not true. The average annual electricity bill is £2500. You can't spend that with a fridge.

Why two? Why not one?

I believe the farmers can create three phase, but that could also be expensive.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, in the UK we have proper power. One voltage, no messing about with extra conductors.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We never bought it from Russia, anyway. Just a testimonial 5% or so.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Never heard of it.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The frequency I've seen drop by about 0.2Hz regularly, and sometimes about 0.5Hz. That would be a change in turntable speed of 1 in 250 to 1 in 100. I wonder if that would be noticeable by ear? I guess it would when it happens, but not if it was gradual.

They have to average the frequency at 50 for the sake of clocks (my mother has a very old wall clock using it, and I think the timers in meter boxes to switch to economy 7 use it?). But I don't know what the limits are for a short period.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey

Are you telling me the media used hype, exaggeration, and possibly even downright lies?

so what is the current shortage about then?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Hence the very tiny kHz ones in SMPS.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Does this mean the power station generators spin faster over there? Or just have more coils?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm in the UK, but mine isn't grounded at my house, I rely on the ground at the transformer. But it would be difficult to lose as it's the same armoured cable as the live.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is that pole actually in someone's driveway?!

Some new (about 10 year old) houses were built near me. They have everything underground except the phone wires. Did they forget or what?

Commander Kinsey

Use a less fussy browser.

Works fine for me in the UK without any VPN active. I wonder why they block Spain and not UK?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Security is overrated. I prefer things to work.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That would be insignificant. And we're talking about PEAK usage remember.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They don't lower the voltage that much.

Communism! ARGH!

Even resistive heating is better than a furnace. Except for gas being cheaper for some reason.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No they won't do that, that would allow us to channel flick to a station without ads.

I record or download everything anyway, no ads or fast forward ads.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can't begin to imagine how complicated GFIs are in the US. In the UK, the live should equal the neutral. If it doesn't, it cuts out. But I don't use them anyway. Safety third! I hate false trips.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Incandescent?!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ouch, I have enough trouble with my aluminium internet line. Apparently in 1979 aluminium was a lot cheaper than copper.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey