Mains power voltage drop to reduce usage?

Unusual.

WTF? That might heat a cup of coffee in a an hour.

Induction doesn't make it more than 100% efficient.

In the UK we have things called cookers. 2 ovens, 1 grill, and 4 hobs.

Sissies, sissies, and I thought the EU was banning gas?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That used to happen in some regions, about sixty years ago. One telltale sign was that the picture on CRT TV tubes used to shrink in away from the edges of the screen. Granada TV's news magazine even had an article explaining it (circa 1962 / 1963).

Reply to
JNugent

Spain, right? I watched a Top Gear episode about 10 years ago which showed completely empty areas of Spain where you'd all moved out.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My local substation (was? they just replaced it after it got damaged due to somebody shorting something - no fuses, doh!) is fixed tap, but adjustable manually. They refused to adjust it to lower my high voltage because they'd give someone else low voltage.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah, Granada....

Fucking s**te quality.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Commander Kinsey is stupid enough to think that would actually work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They still make up the bulk of the load that domestic consumers present to the grid.

Yes! In rural UK the main distribution is full three phase on the main lines but small villages are typically on spurs with just two live taps and earth. Farmers have been quoted insane prices to be put on 3 phase.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's worse than that. All the time that the kettle is heating, it's losing heat to the environment. So reduce the voltage, and thus power, and it takes more energy to boil a kettleful, since more is wasted in the process.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Don't be daft, most modern gear has switch mode psus and they usually have a very vvery wide range of voltages, so they can build one model for the world. Older gear, like I use for hi if etc, as they still have tactile controls will be hit most and older turntables that use the 50 hz in the uk to make them run at the right speed would be unusable. However few of these about. If the switch mode supplies are designed with the right disidisipation, I see no reason why anything from 110v ac 60 hz and 250v ac 50 hz not to be possible. I'm sure Samsung TVs can do this, or at least most of them can.

Most chargers do this and things like shavers and toothbrushes do, cos it says so on the bottom I'm told. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

:-D

That would have to be tested. :-)

The thing is, the rate of heat loss is proportional to the temperature.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

It is not a modern house. And precisely because of that, a smart meter was very welcome. I no longer have to open them the door to read the meter.

And me would be without electricity for weeks.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Not here.

Here, an electrical water flash heater is very uncommon.

It is a hot water tank. Very common here. It heats during the night, on a clock. And as butane is cheaper, I have it disabled.

You are badly informed :-)

I have two gas hobs, two induction hobs, one independent oven, one microwave.

An induction hob uses less electricity and heats faster.

We have so much gas that we have to tell gas ships to wait for days to be unloaded while we burn some gas to make free space to get more gas :-D

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

LOL.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I don't have one personally, but the supply to the common areas of my block does and the supplier erroneously turned it off a couple of weeks ago. It was three days before they could be persuaded to turn it back on, so we lost the door entry system, porch and flood lights, lights in the stairways and passages - the emergency lighting failed after a few hours: before nightfall, the TV aerial distribution system and the fire brigade were ringing up the management agents complaining that the fire alarm was out of action.

Reply to
Max Demian

A SMPS usually has a negative input impedance. As the line voltage drops, the current increases.

Reply to
John Larkin

Right. It's inefficient to take an hour to heat a kettle to boiling.

Mandatory staggering of tea times would help.

We heat our kettle with gas. All that heat winds up in the house, which usually needs it. An open flame is a more efficient heater than a gas furnace; no heat is vented.

Reply to
John Larkin

I'm not in a position to replace it as it came with the flat. And it's a bit of a squeeze to fit in the alcove. I can't clean the fridge part properly as the door doesn't open past 90 degrees or so I can't remove the shelves or drawer.

I tried to measure the consumption by timing the spinning wheel of the meter: I used 104W with it on and 58W with it off so I suppose the FF uses 46W or so.

Reply to
Max Demian

It's set to 1, which is next to off, so I assume that's the minimum refrigeration.

Reply to
Max Demian

Do you really want Big Brother telling you when you can eat? I suppose we could all eat in communal dining halls and drink Victory (ersatz) Coffee.

They could ban adverts on TV to stop everyone from switching the kettle on at the same time.

Reply to
Max Demian

What's that, a ZX81 with a 16kB RAM pack?

Reply to
Max Demian