Mains power voltage drop to reduce usage?

How did the neutral break but the lives didn't?

As for well balanced, that depends how many people were using that broken neutral. If it was just to your house, chances are your loads are not balanced enough.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But you're referring to small things that use very little power. Normally, I can draw 6kW for computers.

TWO?!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm not a power expert, but I suspect this is about power distribution between the generators, very large scale. Not the voltage given to customers.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

No idea. I don't live there :-)

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

LOL.

It was not optional here.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Actually, it was the right wing who did this. :-P

Where do you get that idea?

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I have 2.3 KW on my entire house.

Typically, most homes have 3.6 KW. Max you can have is 15 KW.

LOL

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Several ways that can happen. During high winds - I'm guessing a branch took the neutral out but missed the conductor at the top of the pole. John T.

Reply to
hubops
[snip]

In the US, 100 amps (50 amps on each of the 2 120V legs) or roughly 12 kw, was the standard for 1950 onward. It's been upgraded to 200 amps, or 25 kw, for a bunch of decades.

Reply to
danny burstein

Lucky you.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You could always blow it up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We can have more, on a home, switching to three-phase system. And way more expensive.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Why would a right wing government do such a thing?

"smart meters can give readings that are SEVEN times too high because dimmer switches and LED bulbs confuse the devices Smart meters can be confused by modern dimmer switches and LED bulbs Meters come up with readings that are 582 per cent higher than they should be It comes after an SSE had to apologise to customers earlier this week after malfunctioning smart meters handed them bills for as much as £44,000 a day The Government wants them installed in all 26million homes by 2020"

That last line, ROFL! It's now 2022 and only half of us have one.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We really shouldn't have wires above ground. It's how my neighbour's house caught fire.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The 3 % / 5 % voltage reductions are applied to the station busses that supply the feeders - - sometimes called sub-transmission - 14 / 28 / 44 kV . Not at the higher transmission voltages. It's not unheard of for a subtransmission distributing station to have only a fixed-tap ie : no automatic tapchanger for voltage regulation - so those customers would see the 3 % 5 % reduction - if they were intent on measuring it. Many distribution stations have on-load automatic tapchangers which will correct the voltage to the customers ! imagine that. John T.

Reply to
hubops

How the hell do you manage with that little power?

The dark ages.

Of course I don't often use that much, I've never gone over 18kW, and not over 8kW for any long period.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Pah! Too many amps and not enough volts. What a pansy supply, and an utter waste of copper.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

most modern devices would be fine. But not refrigeration.

that would reduce power, but energy consumed would increase slightly.

Reply to
Animal

Mass texting has been done with covid messages, it could be tried.

Reply to
Animal

Sure. And be fined. And get another smart meter, or no electricity at all.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.