Mains failure

Which is why I set my critical battery level to be 40% or so, to make sure there is enough time left to hibernate. I have no idea why Windows default value is 5%.

I also find anything less that 20% is very inaccurate in terms of time left before the UPS gives out.

Reply to
Fredxx

I don't know if Ofcom have defined what it means.

Reply to
Robin

Well as a vulnerable person I think it will but with the proviso that some remedial work is done withing a certain time. That used to be how they did things, but who knows these days. it very much depends on the actual safety ie if its old rubber and fabric wire like we had its an accident waiting to happen. We had a rewire in the 7-s, and although its the old colours at least there are breakers not cruddy ceramic fuses and wire! Looking at the more recent Storage heater wiring, to be honest it looks worse than the old stuff we had done. Surface mounted skirting board switches, plastic conduit and ordinary but thick flexible cable to the heaters. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

A very large amount is in ducts - and the pikeys know it.

Reply to
charles

No; they'll provide, as they do now, VDSL or Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC).

They may even provide a low-speed VDSL just suitable for VoIP.

Until quite recently BTOR were installing a fibre ONT which had a battery backup unit and an analogue phone port. Now they are moving to just providing an ethernet port and leaving the analogue phone line to the ISP to provide from the router.

What BT really want to get rid of is their telephone exchanges which cost a fortune to run and many are in prime city centre locations

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

A new earth is chargeable and the supplier doesn't have to provide one - but if they do, they must maintain it.

I am surprised that lack of earth doesn't prevent reconnection, but TN-S may be available, or an earth rod isn't that difficult to knock into the ground.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I inherited one or two from my father. I like those.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I'm not surprised; I think that most of UPS are meant for just a few minutes use to allow an organised shut down.

But the situation regarding Dect phones, routers (and even alarm receivers) could be looked at in two ways. I guess you could use an ordinary computer-type UPS, which would be used as one unit connected to a distribution strip to which the Dect phone, etc would be connected. The alternative, as Dect phones and routers are usually supplied from an external power supply is to use a low voltage UPS such as the one shown here:

The problem is that its specs could be misleading unless you read them carefully. If you bring up the photo at the bottom of the six options, it shows its DC output is a maximum of 15W. So with a 12V supply, the maximum current would be expected to be 1.25A. But it's actually given as 1.0A at 9 or 12 V. The other voltages shown - 15 and 24V - are for POE My Fritz!Box router uses an average of 6W (that's with Dect on, but with no active call), so might last a couple of hours. Note, though, that there's only one DC output socket, so some sort of splitter would be required. Maybe for those with a higher budget something like this would be better:

|1952681989>

I would hope that the manufacturers of low-voltage equipment could get together and agree a standard voltage and polarity, such as "12V centre

+ve", in the same way that Mobile phones standardised several years ago on charging via USB.
Reply to
Jeff Layman

My mum had one which saved her from falls a couple of times.

The base station is mains powered but ISTR in the event of power failure it panics and makes an emergency call by default which the owner can override when the far end responds.

The pendant took some random size of battery and lasted for ages.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You are right of course, I was being distracted at the time. That said, for the rating of UPS I stated it's possible you could still run some light load stuff for several hours.

Yes, that is it's 'typical role' but I have run all sorts of things, using them like a 240V AC 'battery' and have often been impressed how long they last (given the starting point of a good battery etc).

I have several devices (2 x RPi, 1 x Shuttle PC, 1 x Synology NAS and an Anglepoise with a CFL in it <g>) just hanging off a 600VA APC Back-UPS (no 'smart interfaces') and so far they have continued to run over any power supply interruptions we have had (one early morning power cut and me turning the ring off a couple of times, forgetting they were running from it).

Luckily I had also previously disabled the alarm beeper as it's next to the bedroom. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Can this be done with all existing cables? Are there may aluminium cables remaining now?

Do they not have a statutory obligation to provide a public telephone service?

I assume this could be purchased if required then?

How is that going to work if they are keeping existing copper lines for use as VDSL? I thought the main purpose of an exchange nowadays was to terminate all the phone lines.

Reply to
Scott

No, he wasn't saying that a lack of earth would be okay. He was saying if the existing earthing via the plumbing was working (as it was likely to be if the plumbing was undisturbed) and passed the test, reconnection could proceed.

Reply to
Scott

Were they the ones that screwed to the wall without needed a mounting box? Can you not still buy them? Are/were they okay for mounting on a wooden surface?

Reply to
Scott

The phone line will only run from the cabinet to the premises.

Reply to
charles

A public telephone service doesn't mean you have to be given wires and free electricity. The future for people who don't want high speed internet is a basic 500k service to support VOIP. The user gets a telephone socket so it's a telephone service, innit?

Reply to
Robin

Mine (I have three) allow calibration to be run. I don't go for a percentage, but for run time. At 5 minutes left, the connected computer triggers shutdown on the other machines on the UPS/ After a short pause, it shuts itself down, asnd as a last gasp, tells the UPS to turn itself off after (I think) 30 seconds.

Bringing the whole lot up again is complicated - to start with I had some circular dependencies! I have a laminated sheet stuck to the sode of the rack - I think there are about 15 steps.

It's not quite as bad as a power station black start - but it feels like it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

So it's not a question of 'may provide' but 'will be required to provide'?

Reply to
Scott

On 14 Mar 2021 at 17:07:59 GMT, "Jeff Layman" snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote: snip

They only did that when the EU told them to. Just saying.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That makes sense. All the cabinets will be connected by fibre so an exchange will still be needed. The copper lines will run as at present to the premises unless they are fibre to the premises.

What about aluminium phone lines? I thought they performed very badly with ADSL. And what about properties close to the exchange that are connected direct and not via a cabinet ('exchange only lines')?

Scott

AIUI (which may be wrong) no.

Reply to
Robin