Followup on fence next door

My next door, townhouse, neighbors, who wanted the 6 foot fence around their backyard, and next to mine, that I refused to sign off on, put their home up for sale today.

It's not because they can't have the fence. They've always wanted a single family house. (They have two little kids. She's working in DC now to make more money, but she has to leave by 6AM, and it's still an hour each way.)

This was what I expected, if I approved the fence, they'd build it, move, and I'd be stuck with it.

They didn't seem mad at me when I refused to sign, but it's hard to tell.

So I wish they were staying but the fence worked out well, until the next guy wants it.....

Reply to
mm

you choose communal living in a condo...... this stuff is voluntraily your choice

Reply to
hallerb

Huh? That makes no sense. I can understand either liking or not liking a taller fence, but it sounds like you wouldn't have a problem with the higher fence with people you like, but the unknown next owner warrants a lower fence? Most times people would think exactly the opposite. Lower fence for people you like, higher for those you don't like or don't know. Am I missing something in the translation?

RicodJour

No, no. I didn't agree to their higher fence, and they don't have one. Oh, I see. I said, "[They're not leaving] because they couldn't have the fence." True. They're leaving for a biggger house, but they couldn't have the fence. (and they probably appreciate not having spent the money, since they're leaving anyhow.)

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned a future n'bor. It's not very likely that he'll want a taller fence. And I can prevent it like I did this time. I was just thinking that the saga of getting along with the neighbors continues.

This fence thing was the only problem I ever had with him or his wife (who lived here first, for a total of may be 10 years, including after she got married.) and that's pretty good. He helped me with things and I helped him and it was nice.

Reply to
mm

I wasn't complainging, I was just telling a story, a follow-up on something from months ago.

It's not a condo, it's a HOA, and I had the right to stop the fence and I did. This is about the other stuff.

We hear lots of problems with neighbors of people who have fully separate houses. Just last week here one of them tried to kill a tree they shared. I wouldn't want a non-townhouset neighbor to have a 6 foot fence either. Where I grew up on a city street, there were no fences at all, front or back.

Unless one lives alone in the woods, everyone has neighbors.

Reply to
mm