Other electrical apprentices and my next door neighbour

No 1. It's not just me that has them.

No 2. Just fixed the next door neighbours hedge trimmers after he cut through the flex.

Me "These look brand new and as if they have never cut a hedge in their life"

Ray "They haven't, I bought it yesterday and plugged it in a kitchen socket to see if it worked. I just forgot to remove the flex that was wrapped around the blade before I switched it on."

Reply to
ARW

A link on the same page as No 1 - a faulty floodlight on a Council pitch that killed someone having already caused shocks to users over a month before. Strangely the inquest recorded it as accidental rather than culpable homicide.

Roger Hayter

I managed to do that while cutting a hedge. It was actually a blessing in disguise as I put a connector on teh two ends and now the trimmer has a short lead and we separate bundle of cable. Much easier to store.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Very early onset dementia?

Reply to
harry

In message <011020192303032152% snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net writes

There are many members in that particular club:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I hope you have the gender of the connector right!

My neighbour did the same trick to his Flymo shortening the cable somewhat and had made himself a Jesus lead with a plug on each end.

Hopefully even ARW's apprentices are not quite *that* thick. -- Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

New power cord needed.

I'm surprised anyone would admit that they pressed the on switch. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe there needs to be something in between, something like stupidity of users, after all if that happened to me I'd be at great pains to contact the owners. My cleaner who kept getting a shock of the vacuum, told me and I got it tested. No issues, it was static, but best be safe than sorry for goodness sake. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspect would depend if the council could reasonably be expected to have know about it. Would it come under any mandatory inspection regime?

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Include lawn mower leads and I suspect it might be close to universal.

Reply to
bert

When is someone going to invent a gender-fluid connector.

Reply to
bert

Point of information, yer honour: what's a Jesus lead?

J.

Reply to
Another John

Also known as a widowmaker - a lead with a plug on each end.

When one plug is inserted into a live socket, the other plug has mains voltage on its exposed pins.

This causes you to exclaim "Jesus!" before going to meet him.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Been done but they arent cheap.

Reply to
AlexK

I would have expected an EICR every 5 years.

But from the article there were two previous reported shocks and something should have been done immediately after the first shock.

Last year I was called out to a Doctors Surgery after a member of staff reported a mild shock from their laptop. There was in fact nothing wrong with the laptop (it PAT tested OK) all she had felt was a little charge from the SMPS at a guess or a bit of static from something else.

The point is we were called out within the hour.

The only time I can remember a faster call out was when a ring circuit at SITA went down and the vending machines stopped working:-)

Reply to
ARW

But you wouldn't have PAT tested the laptop it runs on dc from an external psu. i've even found PAT sticker on a battery operated radio microphone !

Reply to
charles

Ah - thanks (and also Andy).

Well I *thought* it must be that, but I hadn't made the connection(!!) I'm getting dopier, as I get on: my brain had envisaged a "plug" as being the type of 3-pin that goes into the mains socket, which would be useless, so I had to ask.

I once actually did that, many years ago, when connecting two cables. Fortunately I realised before I'd even wired up the socket end of the joint that I'd done it the wrong way round. dumb bastard. Last time I looked, they still don't put a "Danger of Death!" warning on the plug-end of such a union. (Funny really, in a society where, e.g., Starbucks warn you that your coffee cup might be hot!)

When my son got married, and started doing his own DIY, this was the one thing that I really, forcibly, warned him about. For good measure I bought him a mains-detecting screwdriver :-)

J.

Reply to
Another John

Anderson SB175 ?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Hermaphrodite connectors have been around a while.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Indeed: