WiFi Booster/ Extender

Seen in Aldi today - a double 13amp socket with charger USB and WiFi Extender. Could be useful.

Reply to
John

Fitting in a metal back-box at ankle-height doesn't sound ideal for signal levels

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns snipped-for-privacy@andyburns.uk wrote in news:gvjebhFd0c2U1 @mid.individual.net:

My usual laptop use is about 2 metres from a socket.

Reply to
John

They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you have one that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available bandwidth communicating with the base station.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Martin Brown expressed precisely :

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main router and usualy free.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would mostly negate it's usefulness.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So this is over the wiring is it? Or is it just a booster by receiving on one channel and transmitting on another. I thought these days the way to go was the mesh protocol. I'll spare you my rant on putting data on the mains to interfere with radio signals this time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We all used to wire everything, nothing wrong with wire. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

whisky-dave brought next idea :

I think some can be used wirelessly, they just need power..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Depends what you are trying to do. I wanted to have a new Wifi network covering the parts of the house that the base station was weak in and so did it by sharing and stealing some of the wired bandwidth for the TV.

Most Wifi extenders come configured to be almost plug and play network rebroadcasters on the same channel(s) just needing a password and with a simple web interface to set them up. Configuring a router to do this is often possible but involves a lot of reconfiguration.

Ethernet over mains is OK if you only have a small number of remote nodes that can be wired. It annoys RSGB members a bit.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I played around a bit with it but found (in our house anyway) that it rarely did any better than a WiFi connection. As soon as I tried it over a distance where WiFi was getting flakey the 'over mains' connection was just as bad.

My wired ethernet 'through the trees' to the garage is much the best! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

It's never Ok and is really a massive source of electrical shitnes. Do proper wireless bridging or install ethernet but don't use mains wiring for this.

Reply to
mm0fmf

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 17:36:53 +0100, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote: <snip>

Depending on the router.

I had an old Belkin cable router running as an AP for a few years that failed the other day. I dug out an equally old but unused Edimax cable router (given to me by a mate) and used that to replace the Belkin.

Upon access to the WEB GUI (via Wifi) I was offered a 'Setup Wizard' and one of the option templates was 'AP Mode'. I selected that, set the SSID and Passphrase to the same as the old one, connected the LAN cables back up (them acting as a switch) and away it went (my Mobile phone reconnected on it's own). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

would be interesting to see how peole use telephone if they all had to be wired. It would make walking down the street even more dangerous than it is.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I thought the idea was to have wireless exdended.

I know I set one up for my brother. I used to have an intercom that worked the same, in that it uses the mains cable on the ring main, so there was NO need for an aditional cable.

I don;t think that is possible with the BT router my brother had.

Reply to
whisky-dave

and if you secure it well enough you can use it as a zip wire ;-) hours of fun, well perhaps minutes of fun.

Reply to
whisky-dave