Mains 10-way socket,causing power cuts?

Round-ISH... i can just tell they're old, they're not the same design as modern mains sockets, and the switches aren't the same design as what i'd consider 'modern' plugs.

Reply to
Goo Goo

Wrong.

I'm not your mate.

Reply to
Goo Goo

No, you're a clueless, ignorant clutz.

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

I suggest turning the mains master switch off and moving into an hotel until you get an electrician in. If you don't have the 'modern' style square pin sockets, the wiring is decades past its useful life and it is dangerous.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I think you'e rapidly becoming *nobody's* mate

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not with the things you're likely to have plugged into it - computer type things, or hi-fi?

But hint. All appliances have their power consumption marked on them somewhere. In watts. And to keep things simple, make 250 watts one amp - so something at 1000 watts would be 4 amps.

Few computer or hi-fi things take anything like one amp. Many will be only a few watts.

I've got two 6 way ones for my computer stuff - so 11 outlets - and am way under the 13 amp limit.

Even more on the hi-fi.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On a newsgroup full of geeks? Shame

Reply to
I.P.Freely

message

square pin

dangerous.

I suspect a different situation. There is no such thing as a roundish pin plug, not here, and the OP seems a bit short on basic electrical knowledge. Plug pins are either rectangular or round, or occasionally flat, but not roundish.

I expect the OP has early square pin sockets, which have straight top and bottom and rounded sides, like this: (__) These can be as recent as

1980s, in which case theres no reason to worry, or they could date back to the 60s.

The 3 copper metal pins on the mains plugs, the prongs that go into the wall socket holes, if /theyre/ round, Colin's right, and your install will be truly risky. Very very unlikely, but if the plugs only have 2 round metal pins instead of 3, leave now, that would be 1930s or earlier wiring, complete with the dreaded clix plugs.

Otherwise I dont think anything youve told us indicates any cause for concern or need for an electrician. But I'm well aware that might not be the case: your info is so totally muddled its basically imposible to know whats going on. Poor lad doesnt even know what a power cut is.

There is one thing you can easily do to spot problems, that is waggle all the mains flexes, plugs and so on. If it causes power to cut out you do need an electrician to fix something. Dont do it yourself, seriously, stick to the things you do know about.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:15:50 GMT, "I.P.Freely" strung together this:

Well, that'll get you some helpful responses.

Reply to
Lurch