Machine control cable

I want to connect a Forward/Stop/Reverse/Speed control switch to an inverter which is fitted to my lathe. To do this I need an eight core cable which looks much like telephone cable with the coloured cores. Does anyone know the proper name for this cable & is it easy to source. Thanks for looking.

Noah.

Reply to
noah

What voltage is present in the cable? Just a low voltage signal?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 20:33:29 -0000, "noah" mused:

Depends on what duty rating and voltage you want it for.

Reply to
Lurch

Hi Andrew, yes, pressing any of the buttons or turning the variable speed control on the switch relays a signal to the inverter itself which in turn controls the current & motor function of the lathe. If I recall correctly cable size was way less than 0.25sq mm & had tiny stranded cores.

Noah

Reply to
noah

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:31:41 -0000, "noah" mused:

So what voltage is it then?

Reply to
Lurch

network cable has 8 cores and looks like phone cable. You should have no trouble sourcing offcuts if you only want a short length if you can find somewhere having some network cabling done and look in the bin/skip.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:40:19 +0000, Tom Woods mused:

That is assuming it is low voltage.

Reply to
Lurch

You probably want something more substantial than telephone cable, although if you just want some 8-core low voltage signal flex then computer networking patch-flex might do.

Something like 3184Y control flex would probably be suitable although TLC only have this up to 5 core.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sorry I should have said yes, the cable carries just a low voltage signal.

Noah.

Reply to
noah

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:49:34 +0000, Owain mused:

YY cable would be better, or SY if it needs to stand up to a more arduous environment.SY cable needs the proper glands for it though to do it properly.

Reply to
Lurch

If you're certain it is low voltage low current, burglar alarm cable would probably do as it is flex rather than the solid core of telephone cable.

check the likes of RS Components - but they are expensive for small orders.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So pretty much any multicore cable ought to do. Cat5 is cheap and has 8 cores.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its called multicore cable, and if you find a DECENT cable company you can get pretty much any gauge, number of cores and overall dimension you want.

Most of it is made by BICC so a google on that might net you a distributor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Robbo

maplins sell it by the metre.