wiring a kitchen light

bought a kitchen spotlight last nite an today started to wire it up, only to find i had 4-5 red wires--3 black wires an 3 yellow/green wires, the yellow/green wires were looped round eachother, an the others ( black an red) went into seperate screw holes under the cap, im in the uk so i think most kitchen lights r the same, i have tried to place 1 red an 1 black into the spotlight but nothing works round the house, all lights r out an cant get them right.

help

Gaz

Reply to
shaz4gaz

Hi,

Did you make a note of how the wires were wired up before? the reason you have so many wires is that it is part of the lighting circuit, so that is why when you havent wired them up right, other lights in your house dont work.

The circuit needs to be kept continuous so you need to wire your new light up teh same way that the old light was wired up.

I cant really expla> bought a kitchen spotlight last nite an today started to wire it up,

Reply to
Thomarse

i just unscrewed all the wires an took it from there, unless i wire the old light back up to check that, then wen i get it rite an cud stick those 2 wires out of the old an into the new,

Reply to
shaz4gaz

Reply to
Thomarse

ok i'll get back to u in 5 mins wen i try to wire this up

watch this space

Reply to
shaz4gaz

tried to reqire an found 3 more wires were lying there, maybe if i connected black with red with the spare wires or wat wud that do?

Reply to
shaz4gaz

Hi,

Its hard to say without seeing what you have there, each house is wired slightly differently.. I definately WOULD NOT just wire thins up and try it, it coudl be dangerous, blow a fuse or start a fire... have you tried typing house lighting in on google, see if there are any documents about it on there? You basically need to know which of your red and blakc wire are the ones to go in yoru light and which ones need to be looped to form the circuit

Sorry I d> tried to reqire an found 3 more wires were lying there, maybe if i

Reply to
Thomarse

wat do u mean looped? is that like red wires together an black together? i tried again an got my light under the stairs going ok but no more

Reply to
shaz4gaz

In message , shaz4gaz writes

You just have to be a troll, either that or dangerously incompetent. If you're for real, call an electrician now before you kill yourself or your family or burn your house down. Learn from the experience and make notes next time.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Does one cable have 2 red wires in it ? If so and only if so, connect three red wires together in a block and tape them up.

Connect the blacks to the neutral of the light.

Connect the other red to the live of the light.

Connect the earths together to the earth connection on the light.

That' it !

Reply to
john

ok i re-wried it up an got every light in the house going apart from the 1 that i bought, an the one under the stairs, everything else is dead on, i put the 4 red wires together, the 3 earths together an the 2 blacks together, there is only 1 black an 1 red in the spotlight, if i untangle all the reds i get nothing, so i think i have done everything right bar one thing, which i dont no, all lights work apart from 2, kitchen one that i bought, the other kitchen one is ok.

Reply to
shaz4gaz

No doubt others will be along shortly to help but, after swithching off thepower to the lighting circuit (check!)

Trace the individual cores back to the cables tthey come in. My guess is that

a) two (or more) cables will have one red and one black core (+ earth)

b) one cable will have one red core and either another red core or a black core with red sleeving on it (+ earth)

Connect all of the red cables (a) together (c)

Connect all of the black cables (a) together (d)

Connect one (b) cable to (c)

Connect your light to the other (b) cable and the (d) cables

Connect all of the earths together with the earth (if available) from the light

If there is not a cable with two reds (or a red and sleeved red) switch on the light switch and use a meter to find out which cable has a dead short between red andblack. Treat this cable as the cable with two red cores.

Reply to
Malcolm Race

In message , shaz4gaz writes

If you are still alive and not a charred heap on the floor by now try taking a look at the following and if you truly understand it then continue wiring your new light.

Bill

I think they are both trolls, possibly one and the same. Nobody could be that stupid and that illiterate at the same time.

Wouldn't it be better to let him die before he reproduces? Darwin award material?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

turns out im not dead, or thick or stupid cause i got it done, i connected the earths all together, connected 2 reds an put the other 3 reds in the screw part for the new light, put the 3 blacks all together an put them in the screw part for the new light an tured it on, everything works

Reply to
shaz4gaz

I nearly suggested that he should connect all the wires together in one big terminal. This simplified approach to wiring wouldn't result in him being any more in the dark than he already was. But I wouldn't be so cruel...

Reply to
Andy Wade

In message , shaz4gaz writes

I'm glad it works, hopefully you've learned what you did wrong and next time you'll make notes/take pictures before you rip stuff apart. I'd lecture you about how electricity is dangerous etc. but it just doesn't seem worth it.

Reply to
Clint Sharp