LR44 batteries - voltage

I bought some LR44 1.55v batteries on ebay for my Barclays Pin sentry card reader. They don't work!

Using my digital multimeter the voltages of the 4 I tried are 0.471 1.30

1.43 1.47

What voltage should I get from a new battery?

The card reader was showing "Low Battery". Fortunately after I rubbed the old batteries with a tissue the card reader started to work so I have been able to make my online bank payment.

Reply to
Michael Chare

A fresh silver oxide one should be around 1.6v under no load. See

Martin Brown

Some Energizer alkaline LR44s with 2020 expiry date all read 1.57V

Reply to
Andy Burns

My pinsentry was provided with alkaline cells, not silver oxide.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you try rubbing the new batteries? I'm also a Barclays customer and I had some problems replacing the batteries. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what the problem was but I think it was connections.

Reply to
Scott

I'm sure I used alkaline.

Reply to
Scott

If fresh, always more than its nominal figure.

Just measured one with a best before July 2014 date. 1.53v

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Alkalines give 1.55v new. You already know that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I believe the LR44 is an alkaline battery with a terminal voltage of

1.5V. A SR44 is a silver oxide batter with a terminal voltage of 1.55V

The ones you have must be well past their sell by date, or kept in a very warm place conducive to a significant self-discharge. There should be a date on the batteries or packaging.

Reply to
Fredxx

Therese sound knackered. get your money back. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This can sometimes be a challenge with eBay, I believe.

Reply to
Scott

I've not failed yet. The exception to that was where it was out of time for an ebay dispute. Still PayPal guarantee for 6 months from purchase.

Reply to
Fredxx

I get mine from

£3.70 for 10 including postage. No problems.

!.5V nominal.

Why not take it back to a Barclays Bank branch? I expect they'll replace the reader.

Reply to
Max Demian

I have succeeded in the past for something that was not delivered. I once had to use the ebay resolution procedure but I think that was because the seller lacked competence, he did not dispute my case.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Rings bells with me too.

Reply to
newshound

I thought of that but it offends my 'right to repair' principles.

Reply to
Scott

+1 That's what they did for me. Don't even have to go to a branch.
Richard

Silver Oxide batteries would be SR44.

LR44 are normal lithium batteries, and should be about 1.55 volts when fresh.

Beware of using LR44 in place of SR44 in an older film camera because ony the SR44 batteries can deliver the current necessary to activate the mirror-up and shutter. Expect many, many pointless arguments with a holes at carboot sales who will try and convince you that they are 'the same'.

Reply to
Andrew

yup. Worthing branch just gave me a new one when I complained that the LCD was getting a bit too dim to read.

I was superprised to learn that they are not tied to your account in any way, so if somene gets holds of your login details and pin then they can still hack your account with another pinsentry.

Reply to
Andrew

So you think that every chip and pin point in the world is tied to your account? That is all the pin sentry is, a chip and pin reader.

Reply to
Richard