LPG tanks

I was getting my van fixed today something wrong with the gas contoler. I a sked the fellow doing it how much the cans they sell for caravans cost afte r asking him if they can be used on Calor heaters.

That is what they are for he said but they cost something like £120 to buy. But it will only cost about £8 to fill a cylinder.

So why are they so stupidly expensive? I'd have thought that the occasional holiday hardly warrants paying all tha t for a container.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Safety tested perhaps? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In article , Weatherlawyer writes

Are you talking tanks or bottles?

Smallest bottle is about ?15 refill

Calor has a virtual monopoly in mobile bottles as used on touring caravans. BP tried to break in to the market a few years ago and failed.

Container? Bottle? Tank? Which?

Reply to
bert

It's tinfoil-hat man you're talking to. Don't expect sense.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's also convenience given the staggering array of variation in gas bottle connection throughout Europe and the refusal of companies to exchange even bottles with the same connection.

Reply to
Zephirum

Reservoir.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Thanks I need that, small snacks while waiting go down a treat.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

r. I asked the fellow doing it how much the cans they sell for caravans cos t after asking him if they can be used on Calor heaters.

0 to buy. But it will only cost about £8 to fill a cylinder.

that for a container.

You can get adaptors on eBay but shouldn't gas fittings be universal for th e sake of safety?

My point is that I have to buy a proprietary tank if I want to get free of the monopoly. Which is like buying hotels on Mayfair and Park Lane; somehow it just isn't a doss house on the Old Kent Road.

I'll have to get a gas tank from a scrap yard and adapt it to my mobile hea ter, then go to different filling stations. I wonder what sort of apparatus I'd need to prime a Calor cylinder with gas from the mains. Come to think of it; what price per mile would my fuel bill be?

Down to red diesel levels I imagine.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You would need a liquification plant.

Reply to
Zephirum

Calor bottles can be filled from Calor tanks. Quite a few caravan sites run entirely on Calor, and some will fill your bottle from their tank - or used to.

Bottles are filled by weight.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

bert has brought this to us :

The BP system is still on the go, it was bought out by MacGas. A great system, it deserved much better, but crushed by Calor.

Much lighter plastic bottles and the refills much cheaper. There can be issues with sourcing the refills.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What about the adaptors that supposedly allow you to refill standard cylinders They are only £30/£40?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Not deliberately. Calor really detested being in the position they were in, and would have done anything to lose their monopoly. Unfortunately regulated industries don't appeal so much to the investing classes.

One of the effects was to be permanently on alert for a dawn raid - whereby the IT department was required to do what the CMA told them.

Another effect was that employees were required to ensure they were careful how they conducted business - part of the induction was a lecture and film about the powers of the CMA and how a chat with a competitor could be misinterpreted as anti-competitive.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have a small blue one which floated down the river. Free to good home:-) (Herts.)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In my experience they are filled by litres, at least at LPG pumps they are, and I meant he would need a liquification plant for using mains town gas to fill a bottle.

Reply to
Zephirum

BP gas in Europe use the same connection and regulator as Calor in Ireland, which is not the same connector as Calor in UK.

Reply to
Zephirum

Has the other Tim told you not to feed the fish like that? It only ends up in trolls!

A left handed thread abandoned because the British are such good engineers they manage to force them on the wrong way?

But at least we did win two World Wars! Only 60+ million killed.

Unless I plugged my old fridge pump into the mains. Quantity not being much of a problem for driving locally -especially when it switches over to pete r-oil auotomagically.

cylinders They are only £30/£40?

Hence the requirement to get an internet account and shop online. It is a p rinciple not too dissimilar to the old fashioned method of shopping around but you can get a lot further oodles quicker.

But I have to stop all your fun here as I am losing track of who said what and why, mainly because I am not learning much once again on these indupita bly long but caustically underperforming threads.

But I would like to especially like to point to the other Tim for missing t he whole point of the internet entirely.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

But where do you fill them from? Our car runs on LPG and the pumps we use have big signs on them explicitly forbidding filling of cylinders.

Reply to
Steve

s they manage to force them on the wrong way?

ch of a problem for driving locally -especially when it switches over to pe ter-oil auotomagically.

principle not too dissimilar to the old fashioned method of shopping aroun d but you can get a lot further oodles quicker.

t and why, mainly because I am not learning much once again on these indupi tably long but caustically underperforming threads.

the whole point of the internet entirely.

Run that by me again. We won two world wars ? I don't think WE won them.Fir stly we had the assistance of Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, Indian, Af rican, Nepalese, Irish, etc . etc. troops. . Secondly the Russians did the ir fair share with massive casualities and thirdly we were right royally f*

***d until the yanks joined in, in both wars. So all in all I don't think w e can say WE won two world wars.
Reply to
fred

ers they manage to force them on the wrong way?

much of a problem for driving locally -especially when it switches over to peter-oil auotomagically.

a principle not too dissimilar to the old fashioned method of shopping aro und but you can get a lot further oodles quicker.

hat and why, mainly because I am not learning much once again on these indu pitably long but caustically underperforming threads.

ng the whole point of the internet entirely.

irstly we had the assistance of Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, Indian, African, Nepalese, Irish, etc . etc. troops. . Secondly the Russians did t heir fair share with massive casualities and thirdly we were right royally f****d until the yanks joined in, in both wars. So all in all I don't think we can say WE won two world wars.

Ah the fellow thinkenship of the British "make do and mend" variety; always superior in the battle field to the Germanic perfectionism. Fortunately by the time the Americans were in we had the tactic down patent. And they man aged to get rid of some of their generals before it was too late.

But one can not really consider the US input to be either tactical on manpo werful as they still persisted in throwing as much life away as was humanly possible right to the bloody end. Fortunately all we had to do wa sell th em out Empire to make it all go away.

At least we chose the perfect imbecile to do that with.

But I suspect you are intent on driving the price of bridge crossing to the point of no avail. Troll food:

Three measures of oat flakes to one part of potato flour. 1 egg per ladle o f mixture add salt to taste sugar to brown and water to mix.

Place 1 ladle scoop full, per portion into an oatcake sized pan and cook on e side until the mixture is firm enough to turn over. Turn down heating and cook until the second side has browned. Turn the cake once more and brown the other side. Add bacon, eggs and cheese to suit.

Get suit dry cleaned the next day if not needed sooner.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer