Low voltage plug/socket for underwater in pond

There is always R391 compound.

It was a total failure when I tried to use it on a connection for my parents pond as my Mother thought it was dog shit as swept it up into a shovel and binned it.

Reply to
ARW

If it's 12V, just twist the wires and bung them in a gel-filled IPX8 junction box?

Andy Burns

Do you need a plug and socket, or would a waterproof inline junction box do?

Colin Bignell

Brian, Joey is just yet another Rod Speed nym. Save your breath.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's only waterproof for a big, fat, round mains cable. My wires are either small and round (say 1.5 - 2mm dia) or flexible flat twin (probably 2mm x 4mm).

Reply to
Chris Green

I could use the wago type connectors they suggest rather than twisting the wires together. However I'd need to make the box sink somehow.

Reply to
Chris Green

On 05/06/2022 14:57, Chris Green wrote: However I'd need to make the box sink somehow.

Superglue a model of the Titanic to it.

Reply to
ARW

Many moons ago, they used to have some kind of apparently waterproof plugs on bilge pumps on small boats. They seemed to be basically like two pin with a very tight shroud and some kind of silicon sealant you used in the cable inlets. It was a long time ago, who remembers J Birkett who used to sell the pumps. Back in the 70s?? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That depends of course, Electrolysis is a funny thing. I once submerged an ordinary bakelite chock block in a rainwater barrel and yes it worked the pump for years on 12 v, but when I needed to take it off it looked a bit like an alien life form with whiskers and strangely coloured bits hanging off the metal,of course you had to cut it off! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have also come across a kind of cylinder with seals at either end for the wires, but in the middle is just a couple of spade connectors. The tube came in two halves with a kind of square o ring between the parts and some self tapping screws. Seemed to work though it was only being used on a snow blower thingy in Scotland. Maybe its because these sort of plugs are rare that makers just find a fix that works for them? Surely pond and fishy places must have a solution? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Beware of the garden lights connectors or idc joiners. Most of them go duff after less than a year out in the rain. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 05/06/2022 16:45, Brian Gaff wrote: who remembers J Birkett who used to

The one on Steep Hill?

Reply to
ARW

No problem with the connector on my car or the trailer.

Never had that with either of my trailors or any of my cars.

Reply to
4587Joey

but they aren't underwater.

Reply to
charles

That was a comment about his 'any metal left outside corrodes' nof the op's underwater question.

Reply to
4587Joey

First question, do you need a connector or a junction? Do you care if you can unfasten it afterwards?

IMHE, I've made permanent junctions by packing vaseline into a double-ended crimp (regular red / blue ones) and crimping, then glue-lined heatshrink over that (for strain relief as much as anything, and then wrapping well (twice) with self-amalg tape, It's also useful to put some real strain relief into it with some tie-wraps (a big long unfastened one, held in place by a couple of little ones at each end).

I've also used various commercial IP68 joiners and connectors, which can be retrieved after use and opened up easily, which is handy when they fail every couple of years.

If you do go for the waterproof box with choc block inside, crimps (maybe Wagos?) are more reliable than screws for giving a useful connection even once it's "damp" in there.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Since this is DC, unless you keep them dry you're setting up an electrochemical cell with the connectors as electrodes and the pond water as electrolyte. It's then a question of how much current flows through the cell, given it's in parallel with a presumably low resistance pump - depends on the conductivity of the water. But if the pump were to fail or be internally switched, I'd expect the full current to be going through the water. This might be rather corrosive (and harmful to fish).

OTOH, it could be that you generate some hydrogen which blows out the water from the connector... but it'll seep back in again, generate more H2 to dry it again, rinse and repeat.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I don't see why the failure of the pump would have much effect. And my rough calculation suggested 12 V between a pair of Wago 221s a cm or 2 apart in water with conductivity of a few hundred microS/cm would give rise to no more than about 10 mA. But I don't have a pond to hand to see if a reality agrees with my envelope.

Reply to
Robin

Hot glue is allegedly good here, if you already have it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

less corrosion under fresh water than in air - less oxygen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher