Low Hot Water Pressure

The pressure in my hot water taps (kitchen and bathroom) is very low, this seemed to happen in a period of 9 months when my flat was rented out. I've got a hot water cylinder system with a cold water header tank (I'm no expert, not sure if this is the right terminology?). What I'd like to know is:

1) I'm a complete novice, is there a good website where I can learn how my system works? I've had a bit of a search but I can't really find anything, I'm looking for a site like howstuffworks with lots of diagrams and things, but I can't find anything that looks right.

2) Any idea about my problem?

Thanks!

Reply to
ajnmx

First the tenant turned the supply tap down for some reason. In your case this may be a large brass tap with a red circular turning piece in a large copper pipe coming down from the ceiling and going into the bottom of the HW cylinder.

Second is to look at the supply tank in the roof and look to see if any crap in the bottom of the tank has blocked the outlet pipe. (The same supply pipe that should have the tap mentioned above in it.)

Over time a white calcite like crap forms and drops into the bottom of the tank and collects at the outlet in the bottom.

Reply to
EricP

and dead rats / birds etc if it's not got a lid on it

Reply to
Phil L

LOL

Yeah, sorry Phil. I should have added that. :))

Reply to
EricP

I guess they could also have turned down the valve a little on the outlet from the HW cylinder?

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 02:56:34 -0800 (PST) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk wrote this:-

There shouldn't be one, as this would probably obstruct the vent pipe. Any valve should be on the inlet, though there should be isolating valves at each fitting.

Reply to
David Hansen

Thinking laterally: what did you get used to while you were away? Has your flat always been like, this, and you've got used to a much better pressure wherever you've been?

John

Reply to
jal