Lost alarm fob for Fiat 500

My daughter has lost the alarm fob for her 2010 Fiat 500 (bought new). She still has all the information provided with the car, in particular a card with a picture of a car key on it, giving an Electronic Code and a Mechanical Code.

Is it possible to get a new alarm fob online? If so, is the above sufficient information for this?

She has the key for the car (two of them), and only wants the alarm fob.

The reason she needs this is that the car will not start, and the alarm goes off when she opens the door. (It stops when she closes the door and locks it.) Could the alarm actually stop the car starting? Or does it just go off because the battery is dead?

I have tried charging the battery overnight, but it still did not start. (Unfortunately my Ultimate Speed charger does not give the current passing to the battery. It just has a LED to say if the battery is fully charged, which never comes on.) She could just buy a new battery at Halfords, but this would be a bit of a waste if it is OK.

Any advice or elucidation gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Think you'll have to ask a main dealer. This has "going to cost quite a lot of money" written all over it I reckon.

Almost certainly because the alarm is linked to an immobiliser.

It would be a waste.

Try posting in uk.rec.cars.maintenance. Search Fiat web forums. Phone dealer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No idea. As Tim+ has suggested, ask on a Fiat forum, but it may be dealer time.

Usually turning the ignition on will silence the alarm, if it's an OE alarm, but I've little experience of Fiat. What does the handbook say? I'm not sure how Fiat do things, but other cars have the immobiliser authentication chip in the key.

Does it turn over? If so, then the battery is probably fine and the starting is blocked by an immobiliser.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Going back FIATs were sold with *3* keys. 2 regular, and a 3rd master key which was required to program any replacement keys.

The *only* way to program new keys was with the supplied master. FIAT kept no copies or details, and owners were impressed with the importance of keeping the master key safe.

I was impressed that the first account of an owner losing the master key (along with the 2 regular keys) actually took a few months. I would have bet days. (Apparently they were "out jogging" and all the keys must have fallen out). There was quite a kerfuffle in the papers, as the remedy was a new ECU at £1,000+ ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

As I mentioned, in this case a card was provided, with a warning not to lose it, and not to keep it in the car. The card has 2 codes on it, an "Electronic Code" and a "Mechanical Code". I assume these must contain the essential information.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

IN general the dealership where you bought it will have all the info necessary to order and supply a recoded fob.

Probably best to let them look at and sort out any immobiliser issues.

yes

could be yes

do you have a meter?

If existing battery is > 5 years old it doesn't owe you anything anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know in the past this was not the case. If you lost the master key (which allowed duplicates to be programmed to the ECU) you were up shit creek.

Of course, the tabloid press (which had been criticising lax car security for decades) now grumbled it was *too* secure.

IIRC BMWs were prey to duplicate keys being ordered by dodgy dealers ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'd also be a wee bit concerned about *where* the other key was lost. It may be in the hands of a ne'er do well who is just waiting for the right moment to "collect" the car.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Does her insurance cover lost keys?

I understand that, for security reasons, some companies replace all the keys and locks after a claim for a lost key.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

That's an interesting suggestion, thanks. From my experience of insurance companies, I doubt it, but I will see if she is lucky.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I d "If your car keys, lock transmitter or entry card are lost or stolen, we?ll pay for their replacement and for the door and boot locks to be replaced. This is provided they were not left in or on your car while it was unattended, and care has been taken to safeguard from loss."

I suppose their theory is that if a lost key or remote gets into the wrong hands and the car gets stolen then they could end up having to fork out for replacing the car so it's safer for them to spend a few hundred instead of several thousand.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Check any household insurances as well.

Reply to