Loo screw

One of the screws fixing the loo to the floor appears to be loose and to rotate without tightening up. I ascribe this to it having gouged out a wider hole in the chipboard underneath the tiles.

What sort of (expanding?) screw or bolt would it best best to replace this with?

Reply to
Tim Streater

or a yellowish liquid running down the screws and turning the chipboard into wheatabix

Frame (hammer) fixing

If you are prepared to remove the toilet bowl (and dependant of the design of the bowl and/or fixing position)

alan_m

I'd use car body filler in the hole instead.

Reply to
Ray

Car body filler

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If this is just screwed into chipboard, there may be other fun and games soon, luckily I have floorboards. I'd use some kind of filler and then see if you can re screw it. It may hold for a while. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The OP suggests that the chipboard UNDER a tiled floor may be the problem. Without lifting the tiles and perhaps the chipboard I cannot see an easy way of getting enough car body filler into a small hole, and getting it to stick well enough to take the screw. There is probably a void beneath the chipboard.

Furthermore, if there isn't a bead of sealant around the base of the bog and badly aimed liquid running down the outside of the bowl, or any liquid used to wash the floor will creep in the gap between the floor and the base of the bog and find the hole in the tile to run into the chipboard.

Reply to
alan_m

I would say whip the other screw out, remove the pedestal, and sort it out properly, e.g. by taking out an area of chipboard supported by two joists and setting in a replacement of plywood, followed by vinyl or re-tile. People tend to think of pedestals as being there for life, but it is best to start with it fitted securely otherwise you will get leaks at the pan connector and cistern connection somewhere down the line.

Reply to
newshound

I looking to short-term fix this, including not lifting the floor or moving the pedestal. Hence why I was wondering about one of those jobbies for going into plasterboard, which expands as it's tightened up.

At some point there will need to be major work under the floors not the least of which will be insulation and perhaps redoing the hanging tiles on the outside north-east facing wall

Reply to
Tim Streater