Rod Speed

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:21:12 -0800 (PST)

The original posting is viewable here. Complete with date information.

Paul

Exactly, this works well. Direct connection is always better. If you get a draught through the hole then there used to be a kind of grommet with a floppy felt inside that allowed it to act as a draught excluder. If you use a rope to just under the ceiling then have a chain, it will not wear out so fast. I guess, though having the cistern in the loft,and depending on the temperature, it could frees up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think we established that, but it was considered an interesting thing, and people are still doing this with their upstairs loos. I think the issues with the systems you can get now with a very small head and double flush make this sort of configuration more attractive. I've considered it myself when I want to get the bathroom remade. It would give more space in front of the toilet bowl. The only snag being the roof slope and having to crank the downpipe to get the height. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

and the toilet cistern potentially freezing in the loft unless well insulated

Reply to
SH

Well quite. Why not just have the tank high up the wall - like we all used to have?

Reply to
Tim Streater

You may still find that its not the size of the deposits but how sticky they are that requires the use of the brush. In my experience the design of the toilet bowl can make a very big difference - having this year replaced one with a poor flush with something much more effective - both having the same head and amount of water.

Avoid any (continental design) toilet with a flat(ish) viewing/inspection platform at the front.

Avoid any square shaped toilet i) If you are of a certain age and the stream of piss can be weak at times the square shape tends to restrict how close you can get over the front of the bowl. With a rounded design you can easily straddle the front of the bowl. ii) consider that you may not find a seat replacement for a square shaped toilet except the crappy one from the manufacturer at price that requires you to take out a mortgage.

Completely avoid anything with the word "designer" aka " we cannot sell this crap to anyone with common sense or knowledge about the product"

If considering buying it's probably best to look at a number of toilets in different public places or places of work and go for something with the same bowl shape.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes.

Yes * 2

What strikes me as odd is that loos in (say) offices all seem to work well, usually clear the pan contents very effectively. How is it that one seems unable to specify such as these for domestic use?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Unless you are German and want to inspect your production.

...unless you have a square bum.

Reply to
Max Demian