Loft water tank size

I would use a powered nibbler.

Reply to
Nightjar

I thought the standard is closer to 40 gallons. One of ours is over 50.

Reply to
Capitol

I'm surprised that no one has suggested the daft idea of using an angle grinder yet.

Surely removal is best done as the reverse of installation, take the roof off.

Reply to
Bill

I used a heavy duty jig saw to get out the old tank in my last house.

Reply to
charles

Is that occupied or not :-)

From measurements of mine here (good sized CI one) it appears to be 48 gals to the overflow.

Occupied with Joe average I'd say 28-30 gals to overflowing so I'll split the difference with you :-).

Reply to
fred

Thanks for your comments guys - I'll try Harry's ( and possibly others!) su ggestion of seeing how much the bath takes. Just remember to turn off the inlet first, or tie up the ball!

I'm not sure now that I think about it that the additional weight of the 50 gallons tank is so much concern - I think I will rig up a suitable pole to measure the ceiling height before and then after filling the bath and see if there is any movement at all. The existing tank sits on the roof ties w ith vertical straps between the rafters and ceiling joists so the weight is going both up and down. And all these timbers are big, old-fashioned ones .

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I was one of those suggesting running a bath until the hot tap runs cold, and monitoring the level in the header. I *wasn't* suggesting turning off the supply because the supply will there in 'real life' and will replenish some of the cold as it is used. If you turn it off, you'll get an unduly pessimistic result.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'll start off by saying please DO NOT reply saying rip it all out and fit a combi, because that just isn't going to happen.

Definitely go with the new tank, combi systems are the work of the devil!

Id go with the 50 gallon job but set it to only fill to your required 35 gallons. 2 x 25 could be linked if that makes space easier.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Exactly what we did when we were on a private spring with very low pressure, so the tanks took ages to refill.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan