Table saws revisited

Getting fed up with hand cutting the shelving for the hi-fi. Shelves are roughly 400*500 but will need trimming down to fit the runners.

I don't want to under cut and waste a shelf, but if I cut slightly too wide then it is a real pain to accurately take a few millimetres off one edge.

Builders who did our extension had a table saw. The wood worker would cut slightly big, mark up, then trim to an accurate size. Their saw was a De Walt which flipped from a mitre saw to a table saw, but that is a bit beyond my budget.

Looking on line, the nearest thing in the £100 bracket seems to be

which seems to get at least lukewarm reviews and no really damning ones.

Less flimsy looking is

but that gets worse reviews.

Having read the previous thread I'm not really in the market for a rock solid used behemoth for the limited work I need to do.

About £100 worth of pissed off at the moment :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

snip

use a block plane a bit more effort involved but you can put it in a drawer when you're done

Reply to
steve.n

Good thought - I've tried nearly every mechanical device apart from the planer.

Reply to
David

I find that I can accurately trim off anything down to about a millimetre with a hand held circular saw and a sawboard

Reply to
Mike Clarke

+1 Cross cutting on a cheap table saw isn't much fun. Not much fun on the builder's deWalt flipover saw either come to that unless you have a load of outriggers and add-ons. I have those and its predecessor (Elu TGS), but I would still use my £30 circ saw for your job (with sawboard obviously). Spend a bit on a fine toothed TCT blade though.
Reply to
stuart noble

Block plane wouldn't be my weapon of choice. Cobble up a shooting board and use a plane with a bit of heft to it.

Unless you are VERY good with a plane a block plane used free hand is not going to do a good job though I suppose it depends on how fussy you are.

Reply to
fred