Hi-fi shelf

If you get an IKEA chopping board:
<http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30087148/>
and turn it upside-down and back-to-front, it makes a very nice wall shelf for hi-fi equipment.
The lip makes it look very smart from the front (the little food-safe branding on the side edge adds a touch of whimsy).
You need to cut it down, because it's deeper front-to-back (53cm) than it needs to be even for a record player (about 41cm).
The width is ideal. Of course, the care instructions say to oil it regularly, but that's mainly to help achieve a smooth, natural sound.
IKEA is like Lego for grown-ups, if you're not careful.
Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
D.M. Procida wrote:

All you need to finish the job is one of those "toblerone" slot-mounting brackets that someone was looking for the other day, I've got one stashed somewhere ... that I used to use to hold a Hi-Fi shelf!

Surely not; for a little glass shelf holding a shaving brush and your toothpaste, that would be OK. For a shelf supporting an amplifier?
It would work on the same principle as a a tool for levering screws out of the wall.
Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
D.M. Procida wrote:

It held up my amp, CD player, tape deck & tuner for about 15 years.

No, it was rock solid, the bracket supporting along the full width of the shelf.

I will take your word for it, but I don't really understand how.
Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
D.M. Procida wrote:

Correct number and size of screws for the job, along with the correct metal for the screw and you'll be surprised what they will hold up.
Many DiYers use drill bits, plugs and screws without any thought as to what they are fixing into, weight of what they will carry and the best place to put them to resist 'leverage'.
Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold a toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely SWMBO proof. How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to pull every damn fixing out of the plasterboard that I have used to hold that bog roll holder in place!!
Cash

Have you tried toggle bolts - if they fail then there is no hope!
Alan
On 13/01/2013 15:39, Andy Bartlett wrote:

If they fail, there would also be a couple of biggish holes to fill
Andy Bartlett wrote:

Alan,
That's being done once I get into the workshop to produce a hardwood backboard that can be bolted to the wall with the aforsaid toggles, and a couple of screws fitted to it to slide the bog roll holder over to hold it - its taken me around 3 years to persuade SWMBO to let me do that to cure the problem once and for all.
I'm only an old chippie by trade, and after nearly 50 years of married life, how the hell should I know better than SWMBO? :-)
Cash
On 2013-01-13, Cash <> wrote:

Same solution I adopted for the towel rail in our en-suite ...
--
Today is Pungenday, the 13th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3179
Don't do business with Churchill Insurance - they're slime.

Try lateral thinking. Use one of these instead. It also means that you can have up to 3 additional rolls in reserve.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00162549/

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Chris,
Thanks for the link, but there is nowhere to put it safely in the bathroom.
Cash
I'd imagine she uses it as a hand hold when getting up. What you need is a collapsing device that just slots back in again. Brian
--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
Brian Gaff wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:45:09 -0000, "Cash"

She's probably wiping her arse on the roll itself.
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I wouldn't like to be in your shoes Grimly if you said that to her face!
I suppose tho' that by making such a suggestion, you must be speaking from personal experience within your own household?
Cash
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:56:35 -0000, "Cash"

Simply tell her not to do it until it pings the fittings off the wall.

<AOL>
I have the same sort of bracket supporting a marble shelf above the bath which takes the bath taps and shower mixer. I was really unsure that it would take the weight, but it has been rock solid for over a decade of use.
On 13/01/2013 12:29, D.M. Procida wrote:

I have two types of those shelf supports.
The full length ones currently have shelves with equivalent of probably 10x the weight of a hi-fi system
I have a 2 metre shelf in the kitchen held up with 3 triangular fixings, each around 25mmm long. It has 10 packs of drinks cans (6 cans per pack) stored on it with various pans/pots.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

"D.M. Procida" wrote...

Seeing your Kraftwerksuchelichkeit...And considering that you may indulge in "a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which does not know that it is counting"...
The Rast bedside table http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/44361109/ with a piece of batten screwed and glued each side takes a decent amount of 19" rack-mount hardware, mine have synth modules, sampler, effects units, 12-channel rack mixer etc., turned wrong-way-up they leave a nice space for "domestic" gear without racking ears - and a fair amount cheaper than the music shops ask for the same in MDF! The TV wall mounting brackets (ex 14" CRT and available on Freegle etc.) make good poseable places for mixers etc. too...
Dave H. (the other one)