Loft Latch how?

Sure, that doesn't meet what's required though. No obvious means of access is a good thing.

Reply to
Animal

impossible. That can work with a cupboard door, no with a loft hatch.

Yea, I just don't want the damage.

Reply to
Animal

Sounds good. Reckon I'll try filler knives, which probably won't work, then attaching a handle to provide some force, and if that fails it's hole time. Cheers

Reply to
Animal

What sort of latch his it? There are a few types.

Is there sufficient vertical clearance the bolt isn't hard pressed against the catch?

What sort of clearance do you have to enter a tool in the space occupied by the bolt?

Reply to
Fredxx

Push up. (It should push up freely, and you should "feel" the mechanism as you do.)

Release.

Loft door falls downwards at you. Watch out!

It's supposed to work like a push and release cupboard door. Which would be "poke in" with a small velocity, release and the door should pop back so you can grab the edge.

That's what the mechanism looks like to me. One of those.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Having fallen foul of a similar latch I fitted a mortice latch which is released with a budget lock (T-handle) key. With a small escutcheon over the keyhole it is barely noticeable once painted. Doesn't fix your immediate problem though :-(

Reply to
Jim White

Or you use a bolt with an "eye" and hook it with a traditional pole kept behind a door for use when required. 😀

Reply to
John J

Obviously the OP was asked because it isn't doing that.

Reply to
Animal

The OP has been asked a number of questions, some of which remain unanswered.

Reply to
Fredxx

Update time. Levering & tool-poking got nowhere. Luckily the hatch had external hinges making it easy to remove. The tongue was bent a bit away from the frame & it then worked fine.

Reply to
Animal