Loft insulation...

No point putting insulation in attic and then compressing it! Will reduce the R factor considerably. We have a total of about ten to eleven inches; six inch batts with some further six inches of blown in glass wool, added some 15-20 years ago, which has settled a bit.

Also and very important is that the cold attic space above be ventilated properly to the outside!

Here the minimum attic venting under Canadian Building Codes is 0.3 percent of the floor area. In other words a 1000 sq foot attic requires "A minimum 3 sq feet of venting, arranged in such a way to permit 'cross' ventilation". This is to dissipate any moisture that condenses from warmer (and therefore more humid) house air that may leak up past the warm side ceiling vapour barrier of the rooms below.

Problems with mould, mildew and or moisture dripping off the colder roofs and/or forming as black stains and wood rot of roof trusses are often discussed where that rule has not been followed. Some sad stories about rotting roofs! And they are expensive!

To ensure adequate ventilation we have added extra soffit vents along our approximate 180 feet of front, back and ends, eave overhang*. Although any variety of vents can be used including ridge vents and/or gable ends or even powered fans that cut in if/when humidity levels are reached. Single storey bungalow roof is 60 by approx 40. Hence

60+60+40+40=3D 180. And periodically we check for air flow.

We chose soffit vents because easier to add, facing almost horizontally downwards are less prone to snow blowing in and it avoids any work on or cutting of the roof surface. Which in our case is s a low slope pitch/gravel. Most homes however use same rules but are built with composite 'roof shingles'..

Reply to
terry

Misdescription of the choice there. Both options give a well insulated ceiling. One also gives a structutre good for stomping on, the other gives a structure we dont even know if its safe or not with the additional loading.

NT

Reply to
NT

What additional loading?

The OP removed his junk, got the loft insulated, and wants to put his junk back where it was.

I think you are off in a planet somewhere on your own. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seal gaps between Celotex or Kingspan sheets with door/window aerosol foam.

If all the OP wants to do is board part of the loft to put his stuff back, while retaining effective insulation, replacing that area with

100mm Celotex has to be a lot quicker, simpler and cheaper than any of the suggestions involving extra timber.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

For a small area, I think you will be correct.

For the whole of a large loft? Hmm. Not so sure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the easiest is to put the celotex over the ceiling joists either above or below the existing boards. Unless you are storing the Titanic up there celotex will take the load when covered with boarding, and is quite robust over board.

Reply to
<me9