loft insulation

Hi My current loft insulation is 4 inches thick, the depth of the beams, then floored. How much difference to my heat loss will laying another 4 inches of insulation on top of the flooring make? Thanks, Ron

Reply to
ronald

Some, but not nearly as much as if you insulate the walls if they are not already and are cavity types.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It does make a huge difference, but cavity wall insulation is also good. The house stays warmer in winter and doesn't get as hot in the summer. I am pleased with both lots of insulation.

Reply to
kcr

I was looking for loft insulation the other month and every different brand I picked up stated it wasn't suitable for flooring to be put on top!! I take it there is stuff out there?

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Not much.. If you have a big house you might save £40-£50 a year but probably much less. Doubling the thickness will halve the loss, but the loss is already much less than an un-insulated house. Unless you get a grant consider spending it on something else.

Reply to
dennis

Can anyone point me to online material which makes the above and related points in a comprehensive, organised and methodical way ?

Reply to
Fergus O'Rourke