loft hatch supports/dampers ?

Hi all, does anyone here have any bright ideas about suitable methods of allowing a loft hatch to drop down on it's own once opened, so it doesn't fall too fast and hit anyone on the head, or hit a wall etc.?

I was thinking of some kind of dampers from a car boot lid perhaps, but if anyone has any better ideas I be glad to hear them.

essentially, all I want to do is press a button, which releases the hatch, which then comes down slowly and safely. Ideally, i'd like to press the button to watch it retract again also, but I reckion this would be a bit more involed.

I've given only a quick explanation so as not to be too long winded, but i can explain more if needed.

many thanks for any suggestions. Graham

Reply to
graham

A simple way to do it is to put a couple of pulleys in the roof and take 'long' sash cord from the front edge of the trap up over the pulleys and down, through a small hole (lined with plastic tube) into a convenient cupboard. With a typical latch lock a small tug will lift the door slightly releasing the catch and then a controlled swing down, closing simply means pulling on the cord until door is shut. The bathroom airing cupboard is where I put the cord.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

1 length of cord, 1 weight,

or variations on above.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

graham laid this down on his screen :

A rod with a piston on the end, moving in a bit of pipe sealed at the end - will provide damping. The tighter the fit, the more damping it provides and it need not be that elaborate.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Can you pass some thick cord over a pulley and attach a counter-weight to the other end of the cord? Chris

Reply to
mcbrien410

Screw eye in the trap, stick with hook in the end.

Use a push to latch, push again to release latches on the trap and you are away. But be aware that air pressure differences can move the trap enough to operate the "push to release". A door security chain as a secondary means of support sorted that out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice