Liquid wood?

Hi All,
We have a wooden swing/ slide framework in the garden which is made from ro und timber. Over time the timber has started to split (which is apparently normal and structurally ok)and the framework is starting rock/ move during use. The timber is located into metal brackets with screws going into the timber.
I have taken a look and it seems the root cause is that the screws are no l onger tight. I think this is because the splits / timber "seasoning" has re sulted in the holes expanding a bit and therefore the screws are not biting into the wood.
Does anyone know of a way of fixing this? I guess I was thinking of someth ing I could squirt into the hole, reinsert the screw and once the "liquid w ood" hardens it forms a tight fit again. Or maybe once the liquid is set I can then screw into it. There appears to be masonary resin but I couldn't see anything wood related.
thanks in advance for your help.
Lee.
On 18/05/2015 10:38, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

"Gorilla glue"
Car body filler.
Allow to cure before re-fitting screw.
I'd personally be a bit worried about the general strength of this structure if its going to be used by Children. Most of the ones I've seen these days are made of metal, not wood. The swing part probably has more of a chance at being dangerous than the slide, assuming its not very high. I know the council play areas all seem to use metal/plastic ones these days, rather than the more rustic looking wood ones they used to have, but this might be an anti vandal move, i do not know. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"newshound" < snipped-for-privacy@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote in message
/Does anyone know of a way of fixing this?/q
Bigger screws?
Jim K
On 18/05/2015 11:40, JimK wrote:

and a Jubilee clip around the end to force a split in the end to close?
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 18/05/15 10:38, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Drill out old screw holes and glue in dowel of a suitable wood (oak?).
Re fix screws :)
Thanks all for your replies... This is the set in question
http://www.diy.com/departments/plum-giant-baboon-wooden-swing-set/204344_BQ.prd?gclid=CIi8wZiVy8UCFQLnwgodek8AIA&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA204344_BQ&ef_id=VVnKCQAABCiLqulJ:20150518111625:s
The timber is very meaty and heavy :)
Unfortunately I can't use bigger screws as they are already very chunky (probably 10/12mm diameter - more like bolts reallY!)and this would involve drilling out the brackets also.
Glued dowel seems like a good idea....
On 18/05/2015 12:19, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Having seen this, and following Brian's comments, I am inclined to think it must be a poor design. Presumably you are talking about coach screws seccuring the brackets to the timber members. If these are coming loose, IMHO you would be much better off replacing them with coachbolts going right through, either to brackets on the other side or, if there is no bracket there, to a nut and washer, preferrably counterbored, on the other side of the timber.
I hope the coach screws were originally going into suitable sized pilot holes. If not, this is likely to be one of the causes of splitting.
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 12:49:24 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Could you not just dismantle it and shorten the offending ends sufficient to enable a good new fixing. They appear to be round. Could they not also be rotated ?