Linux - thumbs down

You could also edit files without line numbers :P

I did see a mastermind (game) solving program written in teco. That's definitely OTT for an editor.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

teco/

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ok, I'll remember that.

"No money wasted, just time" -- experience, I guess.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thanks. Installing Windows was such an orgy of rebooting, and new driver here, new driver there that I wasn't looking forward to doing it again, because it likely would be just as tedious as in "non-virtually"...

Could probably reinstall a virtual machine from a backup of real one -- but then all the cruft buildup would come over as well.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

You must be installing a very old version of windows, win8 rebooted once when I installed it. I suppose that if you installed a 14 year old version of linux you would need to reboot that a few times and compile a few drivers and maybe write a few new ones.

Reply to
dennis

It does rather depend on the hardware support within the distributed version of the OS, of course. If additional drivers are required, then more reboots may well be required. Even for W8.

Reply to
Adrian

Most drivers will request a reboot but that doesn't mean they actually need one with newer versions of windows. You just install all the updates and then reboot just like windows update does on the few occasions it needs a reboot. The virus scanner is what needs most of the reboots and that is only so it can do things before windows loads its protection stuff.

Reply to
dennis

Not my experience.

Installing W8 takes several reboots. Install W8, restart, first pass of Windows updates, restart, second pass of Windows updates, restart, and possibly more.

If starting with Windows 8 (as stated) rather than 8.1, it can take a very long time.

Reply to
polygonum