Linux - thumbs down

On 27/04/14 15:42, Cursitor Doom wrote:

The overhead is very small if the processor is modern and supports VX extensions.
On 27/04/14 17:20, Tim Watts wrote:

Big on RAM, small on CPU is my experience.
RAM is 'hard allocated' - windows cant cope with dynamic allocation of its core RAM!
--
Ineptocracy

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The O/S doesn't really know what the hypervisor is doing with the physical RAM, it can be "ballooned" away from the O/S or the hypervisor can spot those identical pages in use by multiple VMs and make them all refer to the same physical page (with CoW for any changes of course).
On 27/04/14 15:42, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Only RAM. windows in idle mode shouldn't chew any CPU
And when suspended it doesn't chew any RAM either.
Damned sight faster to restore an open VM session that boot windows...wait...coffee... twiddle thumbs....
Personally I'd sooner just swap a disk over or boot into a

Then you are barking mad.
VM allows you to run two systems in parallel concurrently with windows having FULL access to the host file systems.
It allows you painless backup and restore of the virtual machine to as many snapshots as you have disk space for.
It allows superfast booting of the windows WITHOUT shutting down the host.
It allows windows to be suspended in seconds to free up ram and CPU if you need them, and resumed in seconds when you want it back.
The only downsides are that the hardware is NOT fully under windows control and sometimes that means some hardware wont work the way it was intended, and it means that the screen is a bit slower.
The only possible reason I could have for a real live native windows would be to play games on.
Or if I had some obscure hardware that ONLY ran on native windows.
As it happens, I don't have either requirement.
--
Ineptocracy

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:16:38 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Hmmm.... gThumb is getting that way. I've never used Lightbox so I can't judge. :)
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:28:50 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

I think it only really happens in my department. Of course, my 'main' machine (FreeBSD) is completely unmanaged.

I've been working in IT since 1975 and I think I've seen about 3 or 4 new ideas in that time ...
--
Today is Boomtime, the 44th day of Discord in the YOLD 3180
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime;
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:09:31 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

vi is for newbies.
On 27/04/14 22:25, Bob Eager wrote:

nah. it was back in the day the ONLY text editor that was ALWAYS available on a *nix system
I shudder to think how many lines of code I wrote in it...
--
Ineptocracy

It's also on every unix box. So I use that and a proper editor like TextWrangler. Knickers to everything else.
--
Tim

On 27/04/14 22:38, Tim Streater wrote:

thank god for GUIs. Now I use geany
--
Ineptocracy

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:38:40 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

I use ed...!

OMG, an editor holy war. On uk.d-i-y.
All editors suck.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 44th day of Discord in the YOLD 3180
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime;
On 27/04/14 22:49, Huge wrote:

Except DEC/LSE (built on EVE). That was the only good editor ever.
But vim is a close second...
Tim Watts wrote:

On VMS, EDIT/TPU was my favourite, and before that on DOS P-Edit which was a text editor based on WordPerfect
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:46:53 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Your day is later than my day, when the answer to that would have been 'ed'.

You must be very rich. I'm still running a PDP-8.
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:47:45 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

I'm very pleased for you and your fancy hardware. When there's a virtual environment that'll run on a PDP-8, by all means give me a shout.
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 00:12:11 +0200, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Well, there was TSS/8....!

You're right - I misunderstood what he told me. But isn't standalone VMWare a modified Linux?