Lintels

Does anybody have any idea where I can get normal window lintels from - my local Jewson does not carry them...

TIA

Matt

Reply to
Tom

Course they do! What on earth are you asking for.

You can use wood or make your own with concrete and rebar but steel box lintles are available everywhere.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Matt what do you mean by "normal" window lintels? Most branches of most merchants will carry concrete, Catnic, IG, Keystone or various other makes. Your local Jewsons be one that doesnt because it is not a "heavyside" branch or just a timber branch but they should be able to tell you. There is no such thing as "normal" as wall thickness may vary, Heavy duty loading may vary etc. Either you will have to find a lot more information about where it it to go and then a suitable branch would be able to help. Let me know what you want it to do (not just the clear span but is it a cavity wall, got to bridge the cavity as a most metal lintols would now. Inner wall thickness, cavity thickness and external skin thickness would be what the minimum is required

Mike

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Remmeber you'll often need building control approval for a new lintel and trust me that convincing a BCO that wood is suitable is a LONG job.

Reply to
G&M

Also don't assume that the BCO will accept a home made lintel. Prestressed ones where the metal bar is stretched before the concrete is poured are much stronger, because even under load the underside of the lintel will still be in compression. Concrete is no good under tension

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:59:22 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named Nick Brooks randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Primarily because with precast (& prestressed) conc and steel, all the calculations have been done beforehand in the form of safe load/span tables produced by the manufacturer. There's no great problem in using non-standard lintels; they just need to be proved.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula