Lidl jigsaw next Thurs, any good?

It's a circular argument really.

I only used the old B&D that I had very occasionally and frankly wouldn't have replaced it with another at £30 because the quality of the cut achievable was so poor.

I use the Bosch GST quite a bit, largely because it can do a great deal more, including quite precise cuts and good finish. Seen in those terms, it's certainly worth its investment and shelf space.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The Lidl machine is made in Switzerland.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

NO. the truth is that you are witless.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But the Lidl one is just the same and cheaper.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The worst ones are stamped from sheet metal, and hence have a sharp burr on one side. So they naturally want to cut a circle.

Reply to
John Rumm

Many of the green tools are nothing special - it seems to be a bit of a mixed bag... I used a green Bosch jigsaw the other day, and it was no more refined than my old B&D. I have seen several green two speed electric drills with failed speed controllers. My green orbital sander is ok, but vibration control is not that good. The green random orbit sander (PEX 400) though is not too bad.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well that seals the whole debate... what was Harry Lime said: "In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

We can now add the "swatch" and a Lidl Jigsaw as recommended by dribble.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you.

What do you want nuclear weapons to kill everyone!!!! In fact the world centre of timepiece technology and manufacture was Prescot on the outskirts of Liverpool, before Switzerland knew what a cuckoo clock was.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

So is Toblerone, but I wouldn't cut wood with that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

Indeed. I have a green jigsaw (need to get a bit for it and keep it as a spare) which was ok, but not as good as the DeWalt which replaced it; the green SDS drill takes a lot of daily stick and never falters - it's been doing that for 6 years; the old blue 2-sp hammer drill (Swiss made) is permanently coupled to a right-angle attachment for joists and never lets me down.

So, it depends on the tool. And the user, of course- some eejits can kill a power tool in a day.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Gosh!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You could say something at this end of the market made in an expensive country is likely to offer even poorer value for money than a Chinese one. Unless they are being sold at a loss.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a real anomaly. Generally the Swiss make pretty good chocolate (although I prefer Belgian) but this product might as well have been made by Cadbury's.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'll second that, except I was converted by the Makita 4341 - different kettle of fish to any jigsaw I have ever used before.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

These are very good:

They do a down cutting version too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

OTOH Swiss tools are frequently assembled by robot to cut costs. The last time I was in Swissland I watched a program on local TV about making hammers[1]. Almost 100% of the work was done by robot.

[1] OK I can['t think which was the sadder, me for watching it or them for making it. It had a phone in quiz, first prize a hammer, second prize a hammer and third prize a hammer.
Reply to
Steve Firth

If I had a hammer.....

Let's be honest though... many Swiss are difficult to discern from robots anyway. ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall