Lidl Electric Planer?

Lidl Electric Planer, £30, coming up in Hereford on Monday, is this a good one to get, seems better than B+Q's cheapy but I dont know anything about them!

[george]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

How do these work then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Are you serious?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Like a normal woodworking plane but the blade is replaced by a couple of flat blades rotating to cut the timber. The blades are in a drum that goes across the width and rotates so the blade cuts in a forward direction as you push the planner forwards.

Reply to
dennis

It looks reasonable for the price... probably better than my Green Bosch which was twice the price. The edge guides etc look a bit flimsy, but the basic machine looks reasonable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Think router on its side with a BIG blade in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you know the best source of spare blades? Solent Tools don't seem to stock Parkside blades - unless they're a standard fit?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Most planers use standard size off the shelf blades. They come in a few different sizes.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

From the vid it sounded very much like they use standard double sided TCT blades.

Reply to
John Rumm

What is wrong with the green Bosch? Is it a PHO16-82? I think that's the one I have.

Reply to
Fred

No, mine is an older PHO 15-82...

Things that I don't like about it include:

Exhaust duct is single sided only, and is trapezoidal in shape - good luck attaching a hose to that!

The base only has one grove for chamfering

The rebate depth is very limited

There is no supplied blade setting guide - so getting the blades level and equal is a right PITA

There were no supplied side fence guides

The lead is too short and rather stiff

Other than that, its ok ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The duct on the 16-82 can be switched to either side and the outlet is circular, so it looks as though they have fixed that on later models.

Is the first number of the model number the rebate depth, i.e. 15mm and 16mm?

I did buy a guide to fit to mine, it was supposed to fit at 90 degrees to the plane of planing but the instructions were so confusing, I never worked out how to fit it!

Reply to
Fred

Had a look at one yesterday, you get what you pay for. Quite heavy for it's size, if you had a lot of planing to do it would get tiring but probably not as tiring as doing the same amount by hand. B-)

The guides and their fixings are where the corners have been cut. Bent pressed steel strips and simple thumb screws with no decent guide/mounting area for each. Repeatablity would be very difficult and each setup would take a while with a steel rule.

It did have a little spring loaded heel at the rear so if you placed it blades down on a surface the blades were held clear. I've seen that before but I don't think all planers have it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice