Lid stays for Ikea kitchen cupboards

I have some Ikea cupboards with glass doors that open upwards. The lid stays have worn out and hence do not hold the doors up anymore. I've tried to get replacements from ikea with no luck so far. Woodfit have something that looks the same, but they're £13 each!

see here:

many places seem to stock these things. Anybody know of a cheaper supplier or a cheaper alternative?

Thanks

Fergal.

Reply to
Fergal

Try a search for "Top Flap Stay" or "Top Flap Hinge" or "Lift Flap Stay" or Lift Flap Support" or a combination of all these words and you should get a few good hits.

Like these:

BigWallop

Woodfit

cheaper

My local hardware store has those things that support the lid at the fully open position then you raise the lid a bit more to release it, only a few quid. thank you dave plowman and others for oefix...

Reply to
richard

Hopefully, replacements are not required as these fittings are adjustable (the same stays are used to support doors of different dimensions and construction) to suit the force required to hold the door stationary.

There is a hex recess in the round dial part of the hinge where the two arms meet and the internal springs can be tensioned with an appropriately sized allen key ( Ikea supply a cranked key like a starting handle)

I'd be very surprised if the stays won't support the door when wound up to the maximum tension.

HTH Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Berry

Well, prepare to be surprised then :-O

I've already tightened them up to their maximum (one broke when I overdid this a bit). I took it apart to see if it could be repaired, but noticed some of the teeth had snapped off a plastic cog inside. As the doors are heavy, my cupboards really need two of these stays per door, rather than just the one that was supplied.

We have now actually managed to find the person currently using the company braincell at Ikea, and they are going to send us some replacements (allegedly).

Reply to
Fergal

:-O

..The units I fitted recently all had two stays for each cupboard (40x92cm plain doors, some plain, some glazed)

Glazed doors adjusted to about 80% max, plain doors about 40% and obviously at only half the tension required for a single fitting.

Reply to
Adrian Berry