Leylandii for burning?

Steve Firth wrote:

Starts nicely, but rarely gets its second wind.
--
Rusty

message

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?
I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what makes for a "woodturning blank" ?
Mike

Yes, where are you, and have you got photos?

I am in North Yorkshire, no photos at present but can do tomorrow.
Mike
On 29/01/2010 20:14, Muddymike wrote:

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for turning? Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?
--
Rod

something like:

Yew! Coat, now.

She's been out of her tree for years.
Rod wrote:

Burn the witch?
D&RFC
--
Rusty

Te he.
Mike
Muddymike wrote:

For several of ponds, not a very big bit. Enough to make a small bowl or big cup, perhaps.
Nah, you know you want me to have it for making a gunstock, and turning/carving the rest, don't you?
--
Rusty

Muddymike wrote:

if you get it planked, its worth a fair bit. If split already, burn it.

My dampers do not have an enclosure so if they are open they are open to the room, if you see what I mean: therefore if I have spitting wood, it can and does come out of the damper.

OK. Point taken. I should have phrased it better. Far be it from me to put anyone off burning leylandii if they want to, I just thought I'd share my experience of it so the OP could make an informed decision.
Tina
John L wrote:

Fine. Most cypress is, though some can spit. I've never had that problem with Leyland cypress though.
--
Rusty