Leylandii for burning?

Polar is not good agreed (:-) Pete

Reply to
Pete

I posted the E-type Jag story ages ago...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Fine. Most cypress is, though some can spit. I've never had that problem with Leyland cypress though.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

Carbon neutral. If you discount the stored carbon in the roots, that is.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

That'll teach you not to garden au naturelle...

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

Only if you burn the wood green.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

Give another year, under some sort of cover.

Only when green, and IME,green Leylandii doesn't spit much anyway.

My house is heated almost exclusively with wood fires, and I have never experienced those problems.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last year. Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes indeed - consider that balsa is technically a hardwood,,,

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

And burns like asbestos...

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

I've never known poplar to spit. Willow can be quite lively though. (Matches are usually made of poplar)

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

If it's that size, don't waste it on turning but use it for cabinetry. It's a bit skinny, but as it's yew there's still a market for it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Nah. The roots decay and give off the same CO2 as if you burnt them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Takes a long time. Meantime, several generations of privet have come and gone.

Forestry, with the mature timber used and the stumps left in are a great combination for absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and storing it.

True, the stumps and roots rot, releasing some of the farandaway even worserer glasshouse (non-green) gas, methinks, methane.

TAAAW, I don't send paper for recycling - mature conifers are largely carbon neutral, and sometimes worse. Young conifers OTOH, absorb copious quantities of carbon dioxide as they grow. So, paper is turned into fuel, which is, again, carbon neutral, if you discount the energy which went into its manufacture.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

IME it makes for rather cold comfort. I'd give it to me, if I were you - or sell it.

A piece of yew that size is worth rather a lot.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

My dampers do not have an enclosure so if they are open they are open to the room, if you see what I mean: therefore if I have spitting wood, it can and does come out of the damper.

OK. Point taken. I should have phrased it better. Far be it from me to put anyone off burning leylandii if they want to, I just thought I'd share my experience of it so the OP could make an informed decision.

Tina

Reply to
Christina Websell

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Tina

Reply to
Christina Websell

Tell that to the yew tree that has grown in my garden over the last five years.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"Christina Websell" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

does if its a bit wet..mines still a bit green.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher