Lever arch files: Stopping them from 'deforming' at open end

When I place lever arch files on the shelves and they each contain only a few sheets, they don't sit square on the shelf because the 'open' end (facing towards the wall) is pushed together by adjacent files.
If I had small wood blocks to insert which were exactly the internal width of the file, e.g. 42mm, this block would keep the 'open' end apart and the file would then be like a box and would thus sit nicely square on the shelf. The wood blocks, say 42mm x 30mm x 30mm, would be fixed on one side only, either glued or screwed.
Now, before I start making such blocks I'd like to know whether anyone has seen a commercial solution already? To save reinventing the wheel, like.
If it is not clear what I mean, I'll post a drawing tomorrow.
MM
On 1/6/2017 7:00 PM, MM wrote:

I recognise the problem, I like your solution as being in the true spirit of DIY.
You used to be able to get "sleeves" which are designed to take a single lever arch file, that's another solution which I have in my filing system. Not sure if they are still readily available though. Couldn't immediately spot them on eBay.
The "sleeves" are also useful (open end upwards) for filing a couple of inches of reprints / reports etc on shelves, if you have too many for a standard manilla folder.
There is also these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-Connect-KF01594-Lever-Arch-File-Module-Store-Up-To-6-A4-Foolscap-Black-/252550243386?hash=item3acd2ae43a:g:GE8AAOSwUKxYa3qA
I have a couple of them in my system too.
On 06/01/2017 19:00, MM wrote:

If you were to do that, it would also mean you could store the files flat, and thus avoid the other problem of the paper sagging within the file.
On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 20:34:34 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim <k> wrote:

I also have proper box files, but I have circa 20 ordinary lever arch files -- wide ones and narrow ones -- so to replace them all with box files would cost, ooh, fifty quid? Nah! Little blocks is what I need. For free with my trusty saw and some offcuts.
MM
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 16:29:37 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim <k> wrote:

Then I'd have to buy or make dividers to keep the categories separate. I used to do that, but found it a hassle. Much easy to have a dedicated file for "car insurance", another for "council tax", another for "HMRC" and so on.
MM
Wrote in message:

Corse anyone with even half a clue would scan them and bin the paperwork.

Possibly anyone who does not need to keep original paperwork for a minimum of six years, for production to HMRC.
--
Graeme

On 08/01/2017 09:12, Graeme wrote:

Many, many organisation scan their documents and archive them. In fact when it comes to thermally printed receipts its a necessity unless you think they will last 6 years or more. 10 years if VAT MOSS is involved.
Hankat wrote:

One of the best unexpected uses of smartphones with cameras, IMHO.

And then you lose the phone...
Oops!
I'm the kind of person who still walks to the bank every month to pay my credit card statement at the counter. I hate technology! Having worked in the computer industry since 1978 I know just how crap it can be. Now everyone is trying to persuade me to use my cards contactless, and I just tell them politely to naff off. Never gonna happen! Cash is king!
MM
MM wrote:

No, I mean you then transfer them to your computer, and put them 'in the cloud' if necessary. I wouldn't leave photographs in a phone for a long time.

I like not having to work out how to spend a mountain of loose change any more.

I have never used a cloud to store my data on. Bit too will-o'-the-wisp for my liking. I use only Western Digital hard drives. I sometimes watch clouds in the summer, to see if I can recognise a rabbit or elephant. Once I thought I'd recognised Bill Gates, but then I woke up. Just a nightmare, that's all.

Tesco's self-service tills are your friend for getting rid of loose change. I used to think these things were the devil's work, but now I've got quite used to them. And it means you don't have to talk to people. Who knows? Maybe in thirty years' time I'll even be using contactless cards... but I'll be dead long before then anyway.
By the way, since back from Germany I've ordered a coin dispenser for euros. Then I thought, why stop there? So I ordered one for sterling coins, too.
MM
MM wrote:

Neither have I, but I thought most other people did.

We generally have the shopping delivered, since shopping is so boring. But I occasionally nip into a nearby Asda for things like light bulbs and decorating stuff. I'll have a look at their self-service tills next time. The queues at the normal tills are too long, so I'm quite used to them. Just haven't thought of putting cash in them before. Trouble is, what I mostly have is a mountain of pennies, not the more useful pound coins, etc. I may just bury them for future archaeologists to play with.

On 09/01/2017 09:57, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

There's a charge, but if you have a very large amount of coins, some supermarkets have a coinstar machine, which you can throw all them into, and it sorts them, giving you vouchers you exchnage for folding money in the shop.
https://www.coinstar.co.uk/
Chris Bartram wrote:

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm sure lots of people have the same problem.
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 10:11:18 +0000, Chris Bartram

Alternatively, take them to the bank. Or get a coin dispenser like I just did: http://www.cbm-comms.co.uk/product/coin-dispenser/
Then you can tidy up your loose change before it gets out of hand.
MM

Had one of those for some years now originally for when I used to have to find change for parking several times a day. It was the other halfs idea who bought me one after getting fed up with coins from various work trouser pockets rattling around in the washing machine. Don't underestimate the weight of £50 worth of coins which can get a bit wearing in the pocket after a while if you are walking with it. OTOH the reaction from others who see how quick you can pay for your parking compared to the old biddy digging in her bags for the right coins is favourable and many traders when they see you have a large amount of £2 ,£1 and "silver" coins are only too pleased to exchange them for a note or two as many are often short on change.
G.Harman
Wrote in message:

Not a problem, the pics are auto archived to dropbox etc and you just get a new one and they are all available on the new one.

Your house burns to the ground, you're fucked.

And yet you use this one instead of writing letters with a quill pen.

That's why you got the bums rush.

Still got the horse and buggy for when its too far to walk ?
I pay for everything using ApplePay now, leaves contactless cards for dead and no chance of losing any money if you lose the phone or have it stolen.
And no use to anyone so they don't get stolen now. And when the most stupid steals it anyway, you have the full video footage of the thief trying to use it and his geolocation and so its off to the slammer for him.

But I don't have a smartphone anyway. Surely you must have already guessed that! What is 'dropbox'? Sounds like something secret agents would use.

True, but then I'd have lost a lot more than a few files of old papers.

You find a way for me to get that to you and I'll give it a go!

Nothing wrong with my bum since I started using Sudocrem.

Bicycle.

I never liked Apple products. Still don't.

Well, you've found the best solution for you, and I have, too, for me. It's files all the way!
MM
Wrote in message:

And mobile phone, not just a smartphone.

Yeah, its obvious you refuse to use any sort of phone, even a landline.

Hopefully you too.

It there now.

Obvious lie.

Too radical by far.

Yes, you have always been a terminal fuckwit/dinosaur.

Yep.

Nope.

Yes, you have always been a terminal fuckwit/dinosaur.
No surprise they gave you the bums rush.