Length of mains flex when sold by the drum

I am in the UK.

What are the standard lengths of mains flex when they are sold by the drum? Is 50m a typical minimum length?

Am thinking of: 6 to 13 amps 2 or 3 core flat or round as flexible as possible (presumably, more strands = flexible cable).

Reply to
Alex Coleman

========================== Look here - they seem to have everything you could possibly need:

Cicero

50m or 100m are the most common drum sizes,. Some DIY shops will sell flex by the meter though.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

100 metres

Yes, but for flexibility you also want a softer more flexible insulation and sheath. If the flex may get hot then you will need a heat resistant sheath eg butyl.

Arctic cable as used for portable equipment on building sites is designed to remain more flexible at low temperatures

cable is more flexible than ordinary PVC
the top right of all the TLC pages is the "part of ... range" which will lead you to other products in the range)

We discussed this quite recently in a thread "extra flexible main lead"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Look at flexible cables at:

and 100m

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I get the impression that there is a little more to this question than we have been told. Without knowing what you have in mind, many of the useful suggestions will be inappropriate.

One factor to bear in mind is that if you choose two core flat cable, it doesn't handle anything like as well as three core does when you coil it up and then uncoil it for use the next time. It soon acquires a very pronounced twist to it.

That may be an issue for you, or it may be of no consequence at all, but I've seen examples of where round three core cable has been used instead of flat two core, simply for the better way that it handles.

Reply to
Roly

Yup - 50 and 100 metres are the common sizes. But many wholesalers only stock the 50 metre size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's one reason two core round exists, strangely enough.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For really flexible you want "Arctic Grade"; blue if you are using 240v and yellow for 110v

Reply to
Tim Morley

Rubber (TRS) is far better for flexibility. At a price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Screwfix sells 50 and 100m drums ands is pretty competitive - especially the Arctic cable.

Reply to
colinstone