LED panel lights

They're very different animals. It's easy to make LEDs run on an iron ballast, but not so easy to make LEDs run on either type.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The small ones - like say in a 12v hand lamp or caravan light, may well have the usual two pins at either end, but both pins paralleled.

A fluorescent tube can light with no connection at all in the presence of a strong RF field.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well they have never been wired that way of course.

Live at one end, neutral at the other. Otherwise how could you get a voltage across them?

Perhaps a simple diagram will clear up your confusion

The Natural Philosopher

Philips seem to have achieved this?

Scott

I hadn't thought about how they worked.

I had thought the starter built up then dropped the current through the inductor so as to create a voltage spike, like a Ruhmkorff Coil. But it also allows the filaments to heat up electrically for a short time? How clever!

Reply to
GB

A quick look says electronic ballasts only, not both types. Anyway it is doable, just more complication & expense.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's because I sent the link for the HF version. There is also an EM version. I accept it appears the same tube cannot run on either type of ballast but it seems tubes (in the plural) can run on either type.

'More complication and expense' - compared to what?. I suggest it would be less complication and cheaper for someone to replace the tubes themselves rather than employ an electrician to rewire every lighting unit.

Reply to
Scott

You're either trolling or complaining about a statement you haven't understood.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fairly enlightening:

DerbyBorn

All things considered, I prefer Big Clive's accent;

Huge

Huge wrote in news:eht3lhFiihjU8 @mid.individual.net:

Agree - but the video is about low voltage fittings.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Neither actually - just responding to your attempt to drive discussion down a pedantic route.

My point was - and is - that 'retrofit' tubes are available for those who want to swap over without rewiring the internals. It is also possible to bypass the ballast for those who wish to do so. I thought this information would be of practical assistance.

Your point seems to be which type of ballast is easier to remove and the levels of technical skill needed. Probably of interest to somebody but not to me. Remember the original question was about replacing fluorescent lights with LED panel lights

Reply to
Scott

But first he explains how fluorescent lights work.

Reply to
Huge

My point had nothing to do with that whatsoever. I won't be continuing this discussion.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Good because I have no idea what your point was. You seem to have something against 'retrofit' tubes that you are having difficulty articulating. .

Reply to
Scott

Did they slowly dim or suddenly dim?

Reply to
ARW

All semiconductors age. They age faster at high temperatures.

Performance generally changes gradually.

If you are interested this is MOSFET oriented, but still relevant

As for LEDS..

"In conclusion, commercially available blue LEDs have been subject to accelerated DC ageing process and their electrical and optical characteristics are measured. It is found that both characteristics are degraded after each ageing cycle: the ideality factor and the reverse saturation current in I-V characteristics increase while the peak wavelength intensity in the electroluminescence characteristic decreases. We attribute the degraded characteristics to the formation (or activation) of mid-gap energy levels which can effectively function as non- radiative recombination centres in the forward-biased mode, and generation centres in the reverse-biased mode."

In other words, electricity starts to be used to do other stuff than emit light, over time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[snip]

Add to that the degradation of the phosphor(s).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Slowly. And over quite a longish period. From more than adequate for the job to useless. The replacements from the same batch have started to do the same. They were just generic bought from Ebay - but not the very cheapest. First time I've seen this happen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suppose time will tell on the ones I have fitted.

An awful lot of them were supplied for us to fit (we quoted a price for installation only). That's a lot of hospitals and schools.

Reply to
ARW