LED panel lights

http://luceco.com/public/downloads/instructions/t8-installation-instructions.pdf
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 61st day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 02/03/2017 10:53, Huge wrote:

Ta, I'll use that a bit further up in the thread:-)
--
Adam

:oD
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 61st day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
So the choke is pointless as well then. Do these devices chuck out more or less interference on the radio frequencies I wonder? Brian
--
----- -

Yep.

You replace those with a short circuit packaged like a starter.
GB wrote:

I guess you could screw or double-sided tape them, I have a smaller circular one and just used an adjustable cutter to make a suitable hole in the ceiling for it, they're no deeper than the plasterboard.

Yeah, me too.

Clearly what looks ok depends on swmbo. The one at the bottom of this post appears to need to be recessed. Probably would look a bit grotty/crude if it isnt.

Than incandescents, not than long tube fluoros.

On 01/03/2017 13:10, GB wrote:

Some manufactures sell special brackets to allow the panels to be surface mounted - double check first that these allow the use of the driver without having to bash a hole in the ceiling to hide the driver! The slimline ones would need a hole bashing in the ceiling[1].
Their efficiency is improved by the fact that they only light up on one side. I suppose you really ought to be comparing the LED panel light/lumens with one of the ceiling grid panels that uses 4 x 18 2ft tubes (say 1150 lumens per tube) that they are usually used to replace. Then imagine some losses in the old fitting as not all the light is directed downwards
Another advantage of the LED is that is will stay at full brightness for it's lifespan.
--
Adam

On 01/03/2017 18:37, ARW wrote:

Kitchen 24 ft long previously had 9 x 60w halogen lights, replaced with 4 x 6 inch panels 12w LEDs, much brighter and `she` likes it. Flush fitting to ceiling so had to cut out hole in plasterboard ceiling.

Interesting. I recently replaced some 5mm white LEDs lighting a panel meter because they'd gone dim. And they weren't driven hard either, at about 8mA.
--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 01:05:34 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

LEDs can dim badly sometimes.
NT

Yes - but seem to have got this reputation of working perfectly for ever.
--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 13:50:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

they don't of course.
NT
On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 13:50:14 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It must be so - I have the details somewhere on a 20-year-old CD!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Did they slowly dim or suddenly dim?
--
Adam

On 05/03/17 03:05, ARW wrote:

All semiconductors age. They age faster at high temperatures.
Performance generally changes gradually.
If you are interested this is MOSFET oriented, but still relevant
http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/transistor-aging
As for LEDS..
"In conclusion, commercially available blue LEDs have been subject to accelerated DC ageing process and their electrical and optical characteristics are measured. It is found that both characteristics are degraded after each ageing cycle: the ideality factor and the reverse saturation current in I-V characteristics increase while the peak wavelength intensity in the electroluminescence characteristic decreases. We attribute the degraded characteristics to the formation (or activation) of mid-gap energy levels which can effectively function as non- radiative recombination centres in the forward-biased mode, and generation centres in the reverse-biased mode."
http://www.ecti-thailand.org/assets/papers/516_pub_25.pdf
In other words, electricity starts to be used to do other stuff than emit light, over time.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[snip]

Add to that the degradation of the phosphor(s).

Slowly. And over quite a longish period. From more than adequate for the job to useless. The replacements from the same batch have started to do the same. They were just generic bought from Ebay - but not the very cheapest. First time I've seen this happen.
--
*Welcome to Shit Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

I suppose time will tell on the ones I have fitted.
An awful lot of them were supplied for us to fit (we quoted a price for installation only). That's a lot of hospitals and schools.
--
Adam

On 01/03/2017 13:10, GB wrote:

I looked at these but it was for a 5m long room which currently has a single centre light. I was suspicious that the beam angle of 120 degrees would be insufficient and I would need multiple panels for reasonable light coverage.