LED lamps, source and value

As I said earlier Philips EMC complaint bulbs (12V) significantly intefere with my DAB radio. There may be 'no reason' but never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Reply to
Scott

And your point is, caller?

Reply to
Scott
[snip]

PS I should have said it is to be found in uk.tech.digital-tv.

Reply to
Scott

It moves the peak of the curve slightly to the blue. It doesn't make them emit any visible light that wasn't already visible.

Reply to
dennis

'Visible' is a not entirely relevant concept for someone who is blind. If Brian is experiencing headaches with these particular lights could it not be related to the colour temperature.

Reply to
Scott

Well, one might complain about them I suppose but if they are compliant you won't have a leg to stand on.

Reply to
Chris Green

Reply to
Chris Green

Very observant. I cannot even blame it on spellchecker in Usenet - the human version of spellchecker I suppose.

The reason I ask is that I bought some that carried CE marking (which I assumed to be genuine) and was told by the supplier they are not EMC COMPLIANT.

Reply to
Scott

I was quoting myself this time :-)

Reply to
Scott

I can't see why it should be.

The outlier is the conventional filament bulb. Halogen light is slightly

*more* like natural sunlight. You could get blue coated filament bulbs to fakte 6000K daylight for photography in the old days.

Before modern auto white balance digital cameras film was very tetchy about colour temperature with fluorescents being a green cast disaster.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's dennis. He's wrong. He's always wrong. About everything.

Reply to
Huge

There are fluorescent tubes designed specifically for photography, etc.

In exactly the same way as there were those 'blue' coated tungsten lamps designed for photography.

In other words, use the wrong lighting and you'll likely get poor results.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[snip]

As a digression, has anyone tried Google Trusted Stores or Paypal for dispute resolution? Is one better than the other?

Reply to
Scott

Most of the more recent ones seem to be capacitive dropper...

Reply to
Lee

^^^^ "some" not "most" ;)

Reply to
Lee

As a matter of interest, why to the 12 Volt ones seem to be more problematic than the mains ones?

Reply to
Scott

Current to be supplied?

10W from 220V, current to be supplied 0.045 Amps

10W from 12V, current to be supplied 0.833 Amps

The low supply voltage power supply is switching high currents. The mains supply is switching low currents.

Reply to
alan_m

That makes sense. I had not thought of that.

I take it this 'switching' is what they used to call 'rectifying' when I was at school? Would it be possible to fit a rectifier to the output of the transformer then use DC bulbs? Would this solve the problem?

Also, I see that the bulbs are AC or DC. Would be be possible to fit a rectifier and use the same bulbs or would the circuitry continue to cause problems?

Do you envisage technical developments resolving this or has the balance shifted in favour of 230V so far as LED is concerned?

Reply to
Scott

As a follow-up I see there are some EMI free bulbs advertised. I won't post links as some might then question my motives. They seem to be lower-powered and DC.

Reply to
Scott

Unless you are running them from a 12V DC source, say, on a boat, caravan etc. you may just be moving the problem to the external power supply you have to fit to drive the DC bulbs

Reply to
alan_m