LED lamps

Here's a spectral comparison.

All I can find wrong with the bulb I can't stand, is the blue spike seems to be a bit higher. But I don't really notice a blue coloration to it.

There are other bulbs, where at high color temperature there's a distinctive blue tinge, which is the blue LED inside the envelope leaking through.

The bad bulb has a Fresnel lens but that should make no difference to the color.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

5000K is often a bit too high/blue.

4000K I find satisfactory for many purposes. It appears that the CRI has generally improved over the years - but very few actually state it!

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

My machine has two or three (relatively low power) heaters already.

Why couldn't they have just fitted a heater of the appropriate value, to strike a balance ?

I would contact the manufacturer, present the question to them, and see what kind of excuses they can make.

If you want to fix it, stick the fridge light bulb back in it. As I understand it, some flavors of bulbs will continue to be manufactured. but if a light bulb only has 1000 hour life, using the fridge light as a heater, is just asking for an in-service failure and a compartment with frozen milk in it. If you want a heater function, use a heater.

If you leave on winter vacation, and expect the light bulb to heat the cabinet, it might well fail and there'd be no balancing heat to allow maintaining two zones at different temperatures. Like -15C for the freezer compartment, and 1C or so for the milk.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

5000K means more blue & less red. It still looks white, just nasty.

People in cool countries mostly like warm white, which is of course lower CCT. People in warm countries mostly like cool white, which is of course higher CCT.

White LEDs are cool white by nature, warm white ones have pale yellow or less often orange colour over them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Three heaters in one fridge? This sounds extremely energy inefficient.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does a 15W heater look like?

What question exactly? There is no fault and the fridge is working as intended.

What makes you think the bulb has been removed? I did not say that.

Does a fridge lamp only last 1,000 hours? If an ordinary lamp at room temperature lasts 1,000 hours, I would expect a low powered lamp continously refrigerated to last far, far longer.

Good point.

Reply to
Scott

Early ones often green. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I would have thought that most white LEDs are *blue* by nature, with fluorescent dyes to (more or less) fill in the spectrum. Others may be RGB, but probably only so the hue can be adjusted.

Reply to
Max Demian

I have seen nice looking 5000K lights.

One of the reasons this light bothers me, is looking at it, you can't identify the flaw.

The spectrum shows it has a blue spike. Yet the visual appearance doesn't have "the usual blue look" to give that away. When I look at it, it's "flat white", which as a statement makes no sense at all. There's not a hint of blue in it, to the eye. And the CRI value isn't bad enough to condemn it either.

As a result, the bulb holds a classification all of its own. Unfit for any usage.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Why is it important to have a flat spectrum?

Reply to
Max Demian

I'm trying to describe what it looks like. Flat white means there is no hint of a coloration at all.

There are some other bulbs which have "character". The light is not white from those.

Philips has screwed around with using a mixture of LEDs in some of their bulbs, as an alternative to solving all the problems by using expensive phosphors. It is possible to tint the white bulbs a bit.

The 2700K ones, the spectrum has pretty well exactly the same tilt as the spectrum of an incandescent. Which is pretty amazing, when combined with the low purchase price. Even if the lifetime has been degraded to make them some extra pocket money. It looks like they've got the engineering all figured out. As well figured out as the car companies that put thin axles on cars. The stuff I bought, I didn't seen any signs of those "filament LEDs" inside.

I'm waiting now to find an article complaining about the power factor. You'd think there would be regulations for that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

A reduction of 15C is not significant.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's not if all you want is illumination. Like emergency lighting.

However, if you want the colours you've chosen for your room to look OK in artificial light too, you need a reasonably continuous spectrum light source.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News