Leaving valuables in the car safely?

As a matter of interest, roughly how many permutations of key are there for a modern car?

At least modern cars don't print the code number on the front face of the lock barrel, as happened with ignition locks such as on the Mini. Apparently one enterprising thief smashed the window of each car he was planning to steal, read the number, dashed down to a car spares shop to buy a key and was back to steal the car within an hour or so.

Reply to
NY

In message , NY writes

I wouldn't know.

The ability to open lots of cars can result in unforeseen consequences. One evening, when leaving work and walking through the works carpark, I spotted a guy in a far corner whose car had been boxed-in by a thoughtless parker. I walked over to see if I could help. After a bit of jiggling. I managed to open the offending car, and we pushed it out of the way. To my surprise, the guy I'd just helped then proceeded to give me a right mouthful about how he'd been trapped for 30 minutes, and would be late getting home. He took some convincing that I was NOT the thoughtless bastard who had blocked him in.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The usual advice is to buy a Crooklock.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes - they have one of those too. But a big yellow thing which covers the steering wheel. Not always fitted, though. Which is the problem with something that needs your action to work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Number of positions of each pin to the power of number of pins. So eg 5 height positions with 18 pins would be 5^18 = 3.8 tera-possibilities.

they were still printing the number in the glovebox in '85.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I never took any effort to secure mine in the van after I noticed it would fit inside a large take away Pizza box. After that I asked nicely for an unused one but dirtied it on the outside after which it lived on the floor with all the other rubbish and bits of paper that accumulated over a working week.

Sometimes it pays to look like a naturally untidy sod, same with having a tidy shed . My neighbours either side had the locks broken off and lawnmowers and cycles etc stolen. Mine they just opened the door and probably thought f*ck this as bits of wood and other rubbish fell out and buggered off. Stuff I actually use often is in another shed that isn?t obvious ,the first one is more of a decoy.

GH

Reply to
Marland

How many locks have 18 pins?

Reply to
FMurtz

The gear is replaceable the *data* is not.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Before he showed me how to "work" locks, my Dad said to never tell

*anyone*. Excellent advice I have kept to this day. Not a good idea that anyone knows you can pick a lock.

It was amazing how many people "didn't realise" they'd left their back door open, after my Dad asked them if they could find something in the house (usually a coat hanger). They'd get back, the car would be open, and my Dad just said "You left one of the rear doors open ..."

Making DIY picks was fun ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've no idea, some cars have.