Leaving valuables in the car safely?

I simply dont keep any imporatnt data on any computer EXCEPT my headless boring as shit looks like a 15 year old XP chassis headless server

The operatinal data I need - passwords and the like - are held on the desktop but are password protected in an encrypted format. IF they are important. Lodas of saved logins to te likes of ebay and paypal of cpurse but agaim loss of the desktop would be 'instant repasswording; across all my sites.

As long as they dont take the server, everything is recoverable. I assume my smartphone WILL be stolen at some point. Ok a lot of phone numbers and satnav destinations on it as well as my email account logins, and some wifi logins.

But nothing else. And I can change those (login passwords) in minutes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on the car.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As seen in a documentary, for high value cars the thieves bring their own ECU to replace the one fitted to the car.

Reply to
alan_m

Yeah, got me in quite some bother as a teenager when we borrowed one of the older lad's Ford car key.

Yoof o' today though. Scum the lot of them.

Reply to
R D S

Mine locks itself anyway after a couple of minutes if you forget.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hope the rest wasn't as worn out as the ignition switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Simply swapping the ECU doesn't normally work. It has to be coded too. Rather outside the scope of most car thieves. But they might be able to drive a recovery vehicle. Or more likely clone the 'key' with keyless entry systems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or simply wait until the car is unlocked, and put a gun to the drivers head and invite them to make a gift of the car ?

There's only so much you can do before you realise why they sell insurance.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But no smash which is a slight improvement.

Reply to
Chris Green

Ah well, I don't have (or want) a high value car! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Cloning the key's wireless which unlocks the doors doesn't clone the transducer which has to be present for the car to start - or at least it does with our cheap Citroens.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think what they mean is hide it away. If somebody knows its in the car they will have it. I guess you could put up a sign saying bait car under surveillance. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One of my mates once drove all the way home from work in someone else's Hillman Chimp.

Reply to
newshound

Of course if a car can't be stolen as a car, it can always be stolen and broken into highly profitable spares ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Think most made in the last 20 years or so need the ECU coded? And not many are going to take much trouble to steal an old banger. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really sure about these keyless types. Neighbour's new Disco which had this was stolen and never recovered from outside their house. They were told the 'key' had been cloned. So now keep the one for the new replacement in some form of special safe.

My rather older car certainly has a chip in the key which communicates with another in the steering lock - totally separate from the remote central locking. So sort of three independent anti-theft thingies in the key.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think a complete car is worth rather more in some countries. And it would seem less risky for the thieves.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And probably is invalidating his insurance if he did need to claim for a serious theft (including the vehicle).

Mine says that it must be locked at all times when not being used/unattended.

Reply to
Tim Watts

lol @ secure.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I certainly found that my Cortina Mk2 FT-series key (FT208, FWIW) would open many other FT-series locks. Around 1970, quite a lot of cars used FT keys, including the early Vauxhall Viva and the Austin Princess.

Reply to
Ian Jackson