Hedgehog highways and hibernation stations

I was reading how low the Hedgehog population is getting and how two simple to achieve things in newly built properties and new fences could actually make a meaningful change to their fortunes. Hedgehog Highways. The need for small holes near the bases of fences and walls so these creatures can roam and find food and indeed, each other. They are good for gardens, eating pests like slugs after all. The other main ingredient is hibernation stations. Somewhere undisturbed with enough insulation and protection for them to hibernate when the weather is bad. We hear every year at this time of Hedgehogs being burned alive in bonfires, so making sure there are none before lighting one, and providing a bit of wilderness or custom made lodgings, so to speak is a good idea also.

OK end of commercial.

Hug a Hedgehog today.

However watch out for the fleas.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That happened a few years ago to a child who hid inside the bonfire to stop people from stealing the wood.

And in the days of "Penny for the Guy" another child dressed his younger brother up as a guy and a butcher's assistant came out the shop and stabbed what he thought as an effigy with one of his butcher's knives. He was quite traumatised - the butcher I mean - the 'Guy' was killed.

Sweet dreams. :-)

Reply to
Max Demian

I'd happily have hedgehogs in the garden, but we had to make the lower fence animal proof to keep the tortoise in when we inherited it!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker