Leaky tap - how to fix?

Don't wanna call the plumbers in on this one but I may have to - anyone have an idea on how much they might charge?

Here are a couple of pics of the tap in question - basically I need to turn it 4-5 times before any water comes out and its dripping water.

?image=hpim0318wx6.jpgI had a go but to no avail - I expected to find a washer but I couldn't see one

As you can see in the pic there is a screw- I took that off but nothing much happens - the actual handle does not come off.

The problem is the circle part under the screw - it moves up and down - when in fact it should be screwed on - if I screw it in it just doesnt go on and keeps coming loose - I cleaned off loads of gunge but it hasn't helped!

(quality digital images really show you things the eye cant see!! lol)

Reply to
mo

you need to remove the small screw in the tap handle then a few whacks upwards on the handle should remove it Remove chrome cover Turn water off Remove gland complete and replace washer See

a diagram of your taps internal bits.

-
Reply to
Mark

thanks for that - if i take my tap to homebase will they have the washer?

how hard is it to replace both taps for some cheapo ones from homebase? will i have to start messing about with 'serious' stuff underneath?

also is there any specific way the screw goes back int othe handle? i noticed that I can turn it up/down before i can choose when to put the screw in.

Reply to
mo

Yes but they would be cheaper from a plumbers merchant.

Yes you will have to seriously mess with stuff underneath, but it is really quite easy.

? the screw will only fit in one place, it fits through the handle and screws _into_ the spindle.

-
Reply to
Mark

aahh right, thanks

I might see about replacing the entrie tap but i will definitley give fixing it another try!

cheers

Reply to
mo

If you turn the water supply off first and then fully open the tap, you can usually get a spanner on the gland without removing the handle and cover.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Good in theory, but not necessarily in practice. I had one of those that would not come apart, even when I got the whole tap assembly off and took it into the workshop. By the time I had got that far (the bath had to be moved to get the tap off), it was not much more work to do the bathroom refit that I had planned to do upon acquisition of a round tuit, so I never did bother taking the tap apart.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

whats the difference between turning the tap off at the starts or midway?

Reply to
mo

Got the tap apart - there is like a qurter of the washer missing! what happened??

Reply to
mo

just clean the seating both sides of the washer with a small bit of fine sandpaper and replace with a new washer. the missing quarter is probably on the seating or else you dropped it.

Reply to
noelogara

The message from "mo" contains these words:

Perished and got swept away with the water. Or may still be stuck in the outfall of the tap.

Reply to
Guy King

Same here, I've beated lumps out of taps like that and the handle will not come off.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Homebase didn't have the right size washers - have to try the larger B and Q tomorrow!

I bought a thingy which is shaped like half of a football on a stick which is a washer type of thing but I cannot get it onto my tap because the part holding on the old washer will not come off - so i need to find the exact right sized washers i think

Reply to
mo

yes you do.

Reply to
noelogara

By the state of it that's not a bad idea - unless it's a rented property.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely but its always worthwhile to take the handle off if possible, which allows you to dismantle and clean the spindle and lightly grease readjust the gland packing. By the time a tap needs a new washer the spindle/gland will also benefit from a bit of TLC

-

-

Reply to
Mark

I certainly recomend the approach of TLC whenever the opportunity presents itself. Mine are well lubricated and are really smooth to operate after 20 years and can be easily taken apart for re-washering. A good stock of lubricants for different applications should be the basis of a good DIY kit.

John

Reply to
John

what kind of lube should I use on mine and where abouts should i apply it?

Off to B and Q at around 6 so any quicik replies appreciated :)

Reply to
mo