Leaky bathroom basin

How do the experts mount newer taps to older basins, which have oversized square holes?

The large rubber washer which is used to create a watertight seal between the base of the tap and the ceramic washbasin, tends to distort and/or become displaced after a while of turning the tap on and off. This eventually permits water which has been splashed onto the surrounding area to leak down through the mounting hole and onto the floor below creating a damp patch. No amount of tightening of the (plastic!) nut on the underside will prevent this happening, so I was wondering if there is some sort of sealant that would effect a satisfactory cure?

Thanks for reading.

Nigel

Reply to
nrh

Hi,

You may want a tap centralising washer:

or make one out of thick plastic (small chopping board etc).

To get the best seal on a washer, use a jointing compound like Fernox LSX or similar:

I usually put a thickish layer on, wait til it _starts_ to 'set up' ie goes rubbery instead of sticky, fit the parts and tighten a little.

Then give it longer say 30 mins to set more and tighten fully. Some of it gets squashed out but can be cleaned off fairly easily after it's set.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Pete your a star! I just happen to have some Fernox LSX in my bag too! :-) Now where's that flippin' chopping board? ;-)

Many thanks indeed for the info, and a happy New Year to you and yours.

Nigel

Reply to
nrh