Leaking radiator vavles.

It's funny how problems occur just when you're busy anyway and, even worse, just after a carpets been fitted. :-| Anyway, I have a leaking radiator valve, and since this is the second one to start leaking recently, I'm minded to do a mass change on all the other rads whilst I've got the system drained.

Anybody care to share hints/tips on this? I've installed/updated new plumbing in the past, but changing existing comprssion fittings is newish to me. Qs like, can I re-use existing olives, or do I need to replace the pipe?

Thanks

Sheeprug

Reply to
sheeprug

Just remember to wrap cloths around the pipes before you remove the radiator valves and prevent any sludge from marking your carpets. You'll also need two spanners to remove and replace the fittings, one to hold the fitting and stop it moving, which can crease the pipes or twist the threads, and one to turn the compression nuts.

If you want to use the original olives, then get yourself some PTFE plumbers tape and make a wrap of two or three turns around the olive before fitting it into the new fittings. This helps take up any tiny gaps that might be left between the fitting. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.

Reply to
BigWallop

Where are they leaking from? The usual place is round the shaft which you rotate in order to turn them on and off. You can often cure this - either by tightening the gland nut a bit, or by fully unscrewing the gland nut, sliding it up the shaft, wrapping some hemp round the shaft under the nut - and then doing the nut up again. [Sounds far more complicated than it is!]

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills