FAQ on Laptop screens?

Is there a good FAQ on laptop screen repairs anywhere? My wife's Medion laptop screen has suddenly gone dark (the image is still there if you shine a bright light at it, it's just doesn't glow).

I suspect it's bad news but it would be nice to know if there are any diy repair options.

Cheers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

BigWallop

Almost certainly it's the backlight that's gone (think "built-in flourescent tube"). The outfit BigWallop points you at might b able to do an economic repair; whether that's sounder than buying a new machine will of course depend on your current state of flushidity and the age of the machine. I ass-U-me it's out of warranty, right?

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

Sounds like the backlight

Try uk.comp.sys.laptops

dg

Reply to
dg

Thanks Stefek (and to others). As you guessed, it is out of warranty. After a discussion with Medion, I've been advised that it's probably a broken screen inverter which if I was a bit more confident about sourcing parts and replacing, I might have had a go at myself. As the laptop isn't

*that* old, I've wimped out and decided to entrust it to Medion who were cheaper than
Tim Downie

Took mine to bits, jiggled ribbon cable = hey presto. Alternatively, the screen blanking switch that would usually operate as the lid is closed may have got stuck. A couple of our works laptops had this fault and were easily fixed.

Reply to
Toby