Laptop - water damaged keyboard

Sprog managed to spill water on his Acer Aspire laptop. Amazingly the only damage appears to be a 3 or 4 keys that won't work.

Currently I've got the thing (it was a case of "Daaaaaaaaaad ...") and it's sitting upside down on the dehumidifier.

What are the chances ? Or should I resign myself to having to replace the keyboard. Which looks a pig.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Probably need to replace keyboard. None I have down have been "pigs". Look for you-tube videos.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Sometimes you can get a key working again with a good squirt of IPA under the affected keys. However replacing most laptop keyboards is not that difficult once you know the technique for the machine. Youtube or ifixit are usually good sources of tutorials.

Reply to
John Rumm

Years ago on Johannesburg I left a CP/M computer by an open window when I went out. The thunderstorm drenched it.

two days later it sprang back to life

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it will dry out fine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've had a logitech keyboard K270, based upon a plastic mat with what look like electrical conductors/wires printed on it and it didn't recover from getting wet. The lost keys never recovered.

Reply to
Pancho

Probably more possible withwider spaced PCB tracks and component pins

Reply to
charles

and possibly discrete key switches rather than PCB pads and membranes or conductive rubber backed keys. Some keyboards of that era even had hall effect switches!

Reply to
John Rumm

Jethro_uk has brought this to us :

They are not that difficult, plenty of youtube clues.

Probably it will be a membrane keyboard, with rubber contacts. Moisture, if it gets under the membrane will be trapped, so the only repair is to remove every key cap, the membranes and clean and dry thoroughly. Alternative, is a sh keyboard via ebay, which is the best option anyway, but be wary of none UK keyboards for sale on there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Replaced the one on my HP. Simple job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That'll be alcohol, not beer then ?. The best way to destroy a keyboard is spill hot, sugary coffee into it.

Reply to
Andrew

Machine "chocolate" is even better

Reply to
charles

DAMHIK...

Gritty and sticky.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

precisely

Reply to
charles

Purchased a replacement keyboard - which was more than just the membrane

- and fitted it in 30 minutes.

Reply to
Jethro_uk