Blowing air into dusty laptop keyboard or hoovering it?

My laptop keyboard is dusty AF. I have a powerful hair dryer but I have no hoover.

What could possibly happen if I blow [cold of course] air into my keyboard vs sucking it out with a hoover?

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

shitty gritty into the membranes or switches

Vaccuum it. If its still crap and a membrane, but a new one for a tenner,

If its mechanical, try a compressed air lance

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I usually turn my upside down and bang on the desk a couple of times. Amazing what comes out. However, do recall there used to be a squeezy bulb that puffed air and was sold for the purpose of keyboard cleaning, so the principle seems to have been used before.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Worth taking one or more of:

- a 1/2" or so paint brush

- an old toothbrush

- the sticky part of some post-it notes

and running them around and under the keys, with the laptop upside down if possible.

Vacuuming is better than blowing - you don't know where the crud is getting blown to - but you do run a risk of sucking some of the keytops off...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

seems to me bold and courageous for the OP's *laptop* keyboard

Reply to
Robin

Prise the keycaps off and wipe up all the detritus. But take a photo first so you get all the caps back in the right places.

There's numerous YouTube videos showing how to do this.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Whatever turns you on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The skill is in knowing how hard to hit it ;-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

"Percussive maintainence" needs to be carefully callibrated

Reply to
charles

Do both.

Reply to
R D S

It can blow the breadcrumbs etc under the keytops and make the key intermittent.

Reply to
farter

I do too, but don't bang it on the desk, I whack it with my hand on the back of the keyboard, now at the top. And I eat my breakfast toast where I compute while reading stuff like usenet or the text news, so do get a few breadcrumps on the keyboard at times.

Facebook is currently running ads for a small handheld battery powered vaccum cleaner spruiked as being perfect for keyboards. Haven't bothered to get on since my tapping of the inverted keyboard works fine for me.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In the onld days they used to say that it generated static and could destroy semiconductors, but most modern equipment is a lot hardier these days. I've never had an issue, but tell you what if ever you have cause to dismantle a laptop the spaace under the keys is often still disgustingly filthy. Are you asking this due to malfunction, or merely the look of it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

grit in the hinges/switches, buy some of the sticky snot cleaning gunge?

Reply to
Andy Burns